Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Latest Dates to Split a hive in Sydney NSW  (Read 12013 times)

Offline Chiefman

• House Bee
Latest Dates to Split a hive in Sydney NSW
« on: December 14, 2014, 02:13:06 am »
I would like to know what everyones thoughts and or experiences on the Latest dates to split a hive in here Sydney NSW?

I was hoping to help out a mate with a 4 frame Nuc doing a walkaway split, but my hive is not quite there yet.
-= The Urban Beekeeper =-

Offline Rmcpb

• House Bee
Re: Latest Dates to Split a hive in Sydney NSW
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 03:07:44 am »
You have one hive and its new this year? If that is right I would not be splitting it.
Cheers
Rob.

Offline Chiefman

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 06:32:19 am »
You have one hive and its new this year? If that is right I would not be splitting it.

No more than one.  I wanted to use that one for its genetics. If I was to split it or any hive off as long as possible what is the latest i could do the split ?

Offline Culley

• House Bee
    • my beekeeping page on twitter
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 07:05:48 pm »
Are you wanting to make a 4 frame nuc and leave it to raise a queen? I wouldn't do that any time of year. Also if the hive is not strong enough to split right now, I probably wouldn't split it this year.

A queen or some good queen cells would give a nuc a massive head start.

I've done walkaway splits, artificial swarms, nucs, but only in spring when the bees are swarming anyway.

I only have a couple of years experience though. Good luck.

Offline Rmcpb

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 03:15:01 am »
I agree with Culley. Bit late now.
Cheers
Rob.

Offline Chiefman

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 08:23:21 am »
I agree with Culley. Bit late now.

Serious ?? Summer is just ramping up here. Surely there are a few months left in the season. Drones are still flying and have not been kicked out of the hives yet

Offline Rmcpb

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 05:32:37 pm »
Its not about getting a queen and mated, how about giving the hive time to build up before winter. I know winter is very moderate in Sydney but they still use up their stores. If you really want to do a split of course you can but make sure you feed it well. Do you get a summer derth? We certainly do.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 05:56:44 pm by Rmcpb »
Cheers
Rob.

Offline Culley

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 02:01:57 am »
Serious ?? Summer is just ramping up here. Surely there are a few months left in the season. Drones are still flying and have not been kicked out of the hives yet

Not because I don't think a nuc or a new split would do well now.

When you get hives coming into early spring looking like you could split them already, those are the ones I would split. I would not split that hive because you said it isn't quite ready to split yet, and it's December. I would not weaken it this year by splitting it.

But this is based on my limited experience, in my area.

Offline Chiefman

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 09:04:45 pm »
Ok makes sense, what about if we are splitting from a strong hive? When is the latest we could split it. I am prepared to feed it regularly if required.

Offline Rmcpb

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 12:21:15 am »
You could split a strong hive but make sure you feed both offspring hives and they are both strong and you put the non-queen split in the ofiginal position to benefit from drifting workers. Don't e pect to get any honey of either hive this season though.

Good luck.
Cheers
Rob.

Offline Chiefman

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 08:05:06 am »
Thanks for all  the info, The question is how late can you split in Sydney?

Offline Rmcpb

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2014, 05:59:34 am »
Chiefman, Its a piece of string question you are posing. What are your flows, how reliable are they, what is the weather likely to do, how often can you feed them, is there plenty of pollen, etc. No-one will likely give you a date as this is dependent on the area and seasonal conditions which only you can answer. If you really want to make a split from this queen then I would do it sooner rather than later but only you can make the final call.
Cheers
Rob.

Offline Anybrew2

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2014, 06:41:34 pm »
I would think in Sydney almost any time up until April. Sydney has a mild climate and if you live in the Suburbs Bee's would do well as there is always something in flower. I wouldn't feed at all,there would still be drones about in early Autumn. I base this on the fact that I still get Swarms in my area in April where the climate is a fair bit hotter that yours.
Have fun give it a go a see how they go, its all about learning and seeing what works in your micro climate.

Cheers
Steve

Offline Chiefman

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2014, 06:58:15 pm »
I would think in Sydney almost any time up until April. Sydney has a mild climate and if you live in the Suburbs Bee's would do well as there is always something in flower. I wouldn't feed at all,there would still be drones about in early Autumn. I base this on the fact that I still get Swarms in my area in April where the climate is a fair bit hotter that yours.
Have fun give it a go a see how they go, its all about learning and seeing what works in your micro climate.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks Steve this is exactly the answer I was after  :) . I live in the suburbs of Sydney and was thinking late March to April was the latest. I was hoping some local Sydney siders would reply with their experiences.

Offline Anybrew2

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2014, 11:26:24 pm »
March/April is a good time here to do splits. We have generally a mild Autumn and Winter here in AussieLand. Our Bee's raise brood and forage all year long they slow a little in Winter but still poke along, so we get it pretty good.
When I do splits I still like to buy mated queens, for $20 just works for me.

Cheers
Steve

Offline Rmcpb

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2014, 03:26:15 pm »
Just note that Steve is not talking about walkaway splits as he uses mated queens.
Cheers
Rob.

Offline Anybrew2

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2014, 06:21:04 pm »
Yeah that's right Rob, I always uses mated Queens as you know they start laying within the week.

Cheers
Steve

Offline Culley

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2014, 11:59:28 pm »
Chiefman,

Let us know what you decide to do and how it works out. Good luck.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2015, 01:24:13 am »
Here in SE Qld ( Crystal Waters near Maleny) I stop on the 15. Jan - just done my last four for the season. On the coast it would be still OK.

Offline Richard M

• House Bee
    • Onsite Assessments Tas
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2015, 01:21:17 am »
The two hives we started with here in Tas were each provided as a 4 frame (ideal) split with a new queen at the beginning of January last year (New Years Day or thereabouts).

With regular feeding, they went fine, despite the fact that most stuff had finished flowering by then - had two very strong hives by early summer (Nov).

You'd have to think that in milder, wetter climes like Sydney, there'd be plenty happening until at least April.

Offline Wombat2

• House Bee
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2015, 02:07:29 am »
I've just started 2 nucs - one a deliberate split, one a small swarm.  The split has a frame of honey - the swarm will have one in a week. After that I will feed them syrup until they have 10 frames built and starting to fill. I'll take a look each week and see how they are progressing. The plan is to have a super on by the start of winter if you call it that up here.
David L

Offline Richard M

• House Bee
    • Onsite Assessments Tas
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2015, 04:16:07 am »
...... by the start of winter if you call it that up here.

Yeah yeah, don't rub it in.

anything