Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Duck hunting opening soon  (Read 20569 times)

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
Re: Duck hunting opening soon
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2009, 10:57:01 am »
Well duck season is up and going in Colorado. I think I am part of the conservation because I went through a box of shells and only got 3 ducks. Well I guess someone needs to miss them to keep the population going.

We have those down here as well not sure of the scientific name but we call them Jesus Ducks, you shoot them and they come right back to life and keep flying. By the way there also is a large population of Jesus Doves down here as well.

Keith

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2009, 12:55:28 pm »
Jp, so far we are seeing Gadwalls, blue and green wing teal, wood ducks, mallards, and Wiegons. All are good tasting and seem to go quick once I get them home. It is a strange year because usually we dont see the big flocks until later in the year. We mostly hunt on a river and see singles and doubles. On Monday we saw thousands of ducks flying over in large flocks but they did not want to come down. We ended up with 6 in the morning and 11 in the evening, the evening hunt we got all teal. Im heading off for Alabama for vacation so Ill miss the rest of the first season. GULF SHORES HERE I COME!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2009, 10:22:46 am »
Shawn, I have eaten wild duck and to me they taste like liver, but perhaps it was the type I was eating I don't know. They weren't fishy tasting, just tasted overwhelmingly like liver.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2009, 10:45:56 pm »
They do taste like liver but it all depends on how you make them. You have to leave them a little on the pink side then they taste like roostbeef. Ill have to post in the cook book section on how I fix mine. Everyone seems to like them, even the kids. I made it half way to Alabama and cant wait to go fishing.

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2009, 02:01:06 pm »
opening day tomorrow
going to the Atchafalaya swamp
75% chance of rain temps high 40 low 50

Should be a great day for the ducks and a miserable day for the humans

something tells me around 0700 i will be wondering what the heck I got out the bed for

Keith

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2009, 02:29:50 pm »
Don't get lost, I don't wanna have to go looking for ya! Kill some ducks!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2009, 04:05:55 pm »
I plan on killing some just hope the ducks agree

Keith

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2009, 04:21:27 pm »
Just got back from hunting this morning and ended up with 11 between the two of us. We got 3 drake Mallards, 1 drake greenwing teal, and 7 American Wiegons. All cleaned up and in the dehydrator making jerky  ;)

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2009, 10:13:43 am »
you did better than us. We had a few early shots before the rains came. ended up with one green head and 4 woodies all drakes. All in all with the high water and miserable conditions it was a good day

Keith

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2009, 12:33:36 pm »
It was a great day for us. Usually we dont see the green heads until late December but I am thinking the migration routes are changing. We set up about 12 decoys and 1 robo duck just before light. At 6:07 a.m. the green heads started flocking in. It was amazing to see that many birds coming into decoys. We dont like to shoot anhy hens so we dont shoot until we can definetly see the species and if it is male or female. We could have started shooting a lot sooner but it all turned out good. Before we took the first shot there were probbaly 50 ducks sitting in our decoys. What a great year this is.