Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: ccd or not?  (Read 3686 times)

Offline JRS

• House Bee
ccd or not?
« on: March 01, 2007, 10:19:21 pm »
I recently checked on a colony that was in a house wall in November.There was a total of 4 colonies in this old house and 2 of them I have successfully cutout and transfered.This colony was in the back of the house in a wall and occupied a space of 2 feet wide by 7 feet tall(a very established and strong hive).I checed on them today and nothing,no bees,no honey,no brood,eggs,nothing.The comb was all there but it was very briddle like potato chips.It was wierd that there was nothing there,not even dead bees.Any thoughts?
The only stupid question is the question unasked,thanx for the help.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Re: ccd or not?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 12:10:07 am »
Sounds like they packed up and left. Then they or other bees robbed it out. Not the same sounding set up for CCD.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 12:12:14 am »
National Bee Loss Survey
Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD) is the latest problem facing bee keepers today. Symtoms of CCD are:

1) In collapsed colonies

The complete absence of adult bees in colonies, with no or little build up of dead bees in the colonies or in front of those colonies.
The presence of capped brood in colonies.
The presence of food stores, both honey and bee bread
    i. which is not immediately robbed by other bees
    ii. when attacked by hive pests such as wax moth and small hive beetle, the attack is noticeably delayed.

2) In cases where the colony appear to be actively collapsing
An insufficient workforce to maintain the brood that is present
The workforce seems to be made up of young adult bees
The queen is present
The cluster is reluctant to consume provided feed, such as sugar syrup and protein supplement

Hope this helps.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 08:22:48 am »
Sounds like the bees absconded.

The brittle comb is due the age of the comb (my guess). I have had to deal with some recently that was brittle also. It is very interesting comb.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible