Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Adding super on new hive  (Read 1321 times)

Offline Nyleve

• House Bee
Adding super on new hive
« on: July 14, 2019, 01:44:33 pm »
So I got a nuc  in mid-May and it's doing really well. Put a second brood box on the hive about 2 weeks ago and they've build a lot of comb with most frames fully built out and filled with "nectar". I've been feeding them almost continuously since I installed the nuc. What's confusing is that there seems to be no brood or pollen in that top brood box, just nectar. The queen is there, probably downstairs. I saw her a while ago. Should I stop feeding now and put on a honey super?

For what it's worth, I realize this question has been asked and answered dozens of times. I apologize for being too lazy to read through all the old posts. It's hot.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Adding super on new hive
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 03:14:59 pm »
Quick, short hand advice.
- stop feeding now
- do not add the super
- move the remaining empty frames in the 2nd box to the centre of the box. Put the heaviest frame against the side walls the box. Then next heaviest, next heaviest, etc until you have arrived at the centre of the box with the lightest frames.
- put the lid on, come back at 4 day intervals.
- when you see eggs/brood in those centre frames, then put the super on.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline Nyleve

• House Bee
Re: Adding super on new hive
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 03:20:05 pm »
Thank you. I will do that.

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2019, 04:07:41 pm »
You should stop feeding now. Put a super on if they're running low on space.
3rd year of beekeeping and I still have lots to learn

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2019, 04:30:37 pm »
Just to clarify, if the second is mainly syrup from the feeding do not put the super on until you see brood.  The reason why is they will promptly move the syrup into the super to clear nest space.  When you harvest your honey later, it will be ?adultered?, with syrup in it.  By waiting for brood, the intent is they will consume the syrup frames to feed the brood, thus avoiding the honey problem.

If they need space, remove a few to 3 heavy frames from the second, save for feeding at dearth or winter preps. Replace with those empty frames. Wait for larvae.  Then add super.

When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2019, 05:52:59 pm »
Excellent advice already given.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Nyleve

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2019, 09:05:51 am »
Have removed feeding jar, rearranged the frames. That was good, sensible advice. I hope I see brood soon. This seems to be a very active hive - they've worked fast to build comb and grown quickly. Fingers crossed.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2019, 10:53:40 am »
Congratulations, sounds like you have a very nice, strong hive.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2019, 01:16:57 pm »
So I got a nuc  in mid-May and it's doing really well. Put a second brood box on the hive about 2 weeks ago and they've build a lot of comb with most frames fully built out and filled with "nectar". I've been feeding them almost continuously since I installed the nuc. What's confusing is that there seems to be no brood or pollen in that top brood box, just nectar. The queen is there, probably downstairs. I saw her a while ago. Should I stop feeding now and put on a honey super?

For what it's worth, I realize this question has been asked and answered dozens of times. I apologize for being too lazy to read through all the old posts. It's hot.

When you say you saw your queen a while ago and she may be downstairs. Makes me wonder, I wonder, if the queen may be downstairs, that there might also be brood or pollen downstairs also? Did you check the bottom box as you were checking the top box? How long ago was ''a while'' that you eyeballed your queen? You might be ''honey bound'' being you top box is full of syrup. Therefore not allowing enough room for the queen to move up and lay her eggs. This can be a problem an your bees may soon swarm. I would suggest inspecting your bottom box as well. Look for queen cells, eggs, pollen, etc. asap, and calculate form there. If all is well I would defiantly do as HoneyPump suggested.
Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.