Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Starting out beekeeping # of hives/nucs?  (Read 3627 times)

Offline Sniper338

• House Bee
Re: Starting out beekeeping # of hives/nucs?
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2017, 12:27:50 pm »
Yeah winters here arent cold.  Only see 30 degree temps for a week or so...  right now, february, everythings blooming.  Its spring here already.

Fyi to those in other parts of the world..

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2017, 02:21:44 pm »
yep at least two..... plenty corrections you can make with two that you can't physically do with one. classes first, there are pros and cons. it is nice to have a mentor or at least a few yard visits. you can jump n head first but the information flow/ learning curve can be overwhelming for some. just the shear amount of differing opinions can be bumfuzzling  :wink:
John 3:16

Offline Sniper338

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2017, 02:25:57 pm »
Ive been studying beekeeping for a bit now pretty hard...  im comfortable with it, but my wife is not near as comfortable as i am.  Which is ok.  Its the difference in a man and a woman kind of thing...  she wants to do it right and take classes/ "read the instructions"....  Im a man and jump in and learn and throw the instruction book aside..

Offline 220

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2017, 04:16:58 pm »
Sounds like your ready to jump in  :cool:
I was pretty much in your position when I started, had read everything I could but was still a little nervous. The gentleman I purchased my nuc off said 2 things that set me at ease.

"If you can raise sheep and cattle you wont have any problems looking after bees" In his experience those that struggle starting out are usually people that have never owned and looked after anything besides a goldfish. Even if you have only had cats or dogs you will have noticed differences in their behaviour when something isn't quite right. You are used to treating for flees, worms etc either by a schedule or when symptoms present, the diseases and parasites in bees are different but the same basic principles apply.

"Bees can take care of most situations on their own" They don't need you to do everything for them just a helping hand.

My only regret jumping in like I did is I should have done it earlier, I think starting in spring would have been better than starting early summer, I missed all the early season build up and our main spring flow.

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2017, 08:30:53 pm »
Maybe compromise. Buy one nuc. Spend the money budgeted for the other nuc (s) on more boxes, frames, tops and bottoms. Enough for three hives. Build the nuc thru the flow and split into three small colonies in June, then go into winter with three colonies.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

I disagree, you will be sending 3 weak hives into winter.  Do splits before the flow.
Ok, ok, buy two. I still think you should make increase part of your first year plan.

And I echo the above about starting early in the season.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2017, 06:24:22 pm »
I would advise between 2 and 4.  Anymore than four when you don't know what you are doing is a bit too much.  Any less than 2 is too little.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin