Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: multi colored flowers  (Read 1287 times)

Offline paus

• Field Bee
multi colored flowers
« on: January 08, 2018, 01:01:41 pm »
I am planning on planting about one acre of zinnias this spring.  The seed I find, in bulk, are multi colored,  do bees like one color or do they care if the flowers are the same kind?  I am thinking about  California giant zinnia.  Are there any suggestions for other flowers.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
Re: multi colored flowers
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 01:34:31 pm »
I always heard that bees do not like red.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 02:51:57 pm »
>I always heard that bees do not like red.

Perhaps they are more attracted to other colors.  They don't dislike red.  They just can't see red... but flowers often have hidden UV markings that we can't see...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 03:19:15 pm »
>I always heard that bees do not like red.

Perhaps they are more attracted to other colors.  They don't dislike red.  They just can't see red... but flowers often have hidden UV markings that we can't see...

Yeah that was probably what I have heard.

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 06:35:27 pm »
If you like sainfoin flowers then you can plant an acre of that. 
I like the daisy like yellow Nyger flowers too.

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 11:32:01 am »
If you're planting zinnias  for the love of them, wonderful.  I have several varieties that attract butterflies like crazy and a few hummingbirds but, I have seen very few honey bees on them.  The few HBs that I have seen on zinnias tend to go to those with simple flowers in the violet to pink color range and I think it is more for pollen than nectar.  the floribunda varieties get no attention from HBs that I have noticed.  This is simply my local observation, mind you. 

I personally would not plant a whole acre of a single  just for bees, though.  I think there are better flowers for that purpose, and I believe in using variety rather than single floral source.  Your purpose may be different than mine.

Here is a list of HB nectar flowers.  Note that zinnia is not listed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Northern_American_nectar_sources_for_honey_bees
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline derekNGA

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 12:00:05 pm »
I always plant a large area if zinnias each year.  Multi colored and varieties.  Im In Georgia and can plant in spring, which after a couple months they begins to look bad and slow blooming and then I replant and those last til frost.
They are easy to grown, look nice, cheap seed to obtain, and I plant them for those reasons plus for my wife to have fresh cut flowers.  With that said, I have 7 hives and never seen a bee on them, not even in dearth time. 

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 01:12:46 pm »
We had maybe 15 California Giants Zinnia on a garden fence, bees covered them up.  These replies are an indicator of my previous philosophical saying "bees do what bees want to do" .  What about Maximillian Sunflower, I know very little about these plants.  Since bees cover about 18000 acres in their foraging according to Mr. Bush  would an acre or two of sunflowers and Zinnias make any significant difference for the bees  or could I justify planting these flowers for the beauty, to make my wife happy.