Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: removed swarm now what do I do  (Read 1822 times)

Offline TheNewKeeper

• New Bee
removed swarm now what do I do
« on: May 16, 2018, 12:31:58 pm »
I had first posted this under beekeeping 101 but they just made a jock of it and helped none.  So I caught a very small swarm about the size of a softball I put them directly in to a hive with 5 frames.  They have been there for 48 hours now and are not drawing comb what should I do.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: removed swarm now what do I do
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 12:41:36 pm »
First, the posts in your other thread were just light hearted, not making it into a joke. We like to have fun with each other here.

Secondly, a softball size swarm in AHB territory is very suspect. It may well be Africanized.

Thirdly, a swarm should be left alone for at least 7 days before opening, other than to feed if feeding internally. Then just to find eggs and closing it for another week or more.

During that 7 days, you need to obtain a smoker, a veil, and a hive tool minimum. If you have eggs after 7 days, post back and we can try to help you from there.
If you don't, the swarm isn't going to make it.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

anything