Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: setting up fax?  (Read 3503 times)

Offline ayyon2157

• House Bee
setting up fax?
« on: March 15, 2008, 07:59:32 am »

I have fax capability with my computer, but have never used it.  I am on dial-up.  My question is, where do I get a fax number to use, and will my ISP charge me more money for using the fax feature? Will the telephone company consider this an additional line and charge me extra?

ayyon 2157 
William H. Michaels

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: setting up fax?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 08:55:39 am »
It uses your modem as the "fax machine" and the same line and number.   It has been many years since I used my PC as a fax machine so I don't remember all the details anymore.   One thing is if you plan on receiving faxs that way you need to leave your PC on all the time.   

I find many of the all in one printers have fax capability which is much nicer.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Bodo

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 10:44:28 am »
Having fax capability and having the internet are two different critters.  Both use the same modem but that's where the similarities stop.  Your modem should have come with a software suite that will interface with the modem or you c an use the Windows Fax Console:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/crawford_02october21.mspx

I have fax capability with my computer, but have never used it.  I am on dial-up.  My question is, where do I get a fax number to use, and will my ISP charge me more money for using the fax feature? Will the telephone company consider this an additional line and charge me extra?

ayyon 2157 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 04:11:08 pm by buzzbee »

Offline ayyon2157

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 11:55:15 am »

Thanks very much, Robo and Bodo!  I very much appreciate these prompt and enlightening replies.

ayyon2157
William H. Michaels