Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: THE BIG SHORT  (Read 2391 times)

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
THE BIG SHORT
« on: January 01, 2016, 01:49:52 pm »
Before going to this movie, I didn't think it had much promise.  I told a friend it sounded like a bunch of Saturday Night Live guys want to make a comedy about Bernie Madoff.  Loads of laughs, right? 

But The Big Short surprised me.  By the end, the characters who made fortunes betting against the housing mortgage market were as appalled by the outcome as everyone else.  And the guy who first saw that there was a bubble wondered why nobody in charge  was asking him what he saw, so he asked Congress, the Obama administration and others why nobody seemed curious.  SO THEY INVESTIGATED HIM AND THE IRS AUDITED HIM. But still, nobody was curious about how he saw the bubble when Fannie May, Freddie Mac, Lehman, Morgan Stanley and other big banks missed it.

The really appalling kicker is that it seems to me they're doing the same thing again.

Maybe a comedy about Bernie Madoff isn't such a bad idea, after all.  We could get Jack Black for the title role, maybe.....
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944