Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Im suddenly allergic  (Read 4040 times)

Offline 220

• House Bee
Im suddenly allergic
« on: February 27, 2018, 07:23:26 am »
Was doing a full inspection on some of my hives today. Must have squashed a bee between my wrist and the edge of the box when lifting a second brood box back into place. Copped a sting through the wrist mesh on the glove just where the sleeve of my bee suit ends.
No worries, I dont get stung a lot maybe a couple of times a year and have never had any sort of reaction other than minor swelling like a mosquito bite so I finished putting the hive back together and walked over to the ute. Removed my gloves and stinger, had a drink and a rest for a few minutes. Started to feel a bit dizzy and then very dizzy, so started driving back to parents house about 1.5km away. After a few hundred metres I thought I might faint, sweeting and very faint so I called mum and said better come down. Meet her half way and I drove the rest of the way to the house removed my bee suit and had a cool drink and a sit down. Within minutes I was very itchy and developing welts. Drove the 5 minutes to the local hospital, by then I was red and had welts from my neck to upper calves. Took a few pills and the nurses observed me for about half hour before I went to see the Doc. Still itchy red and covered in welts, feeling a bit faint, nauseous and minor stomach cramps. Doc gave me a few more pills and a shot and kept me under observation for another 2 hours. Welts had improved slightly but still all the symptoms and vomiting so he sent me back to the nurses to observe. Another needle for the nausea some more pills, ECG blood pressure and temp every 30min for another 3 hours and the symptoms had finally abated enough to go home.

At this stage I dont know where this will leave me with bee keeping. Doc wants to see me tomorrow and run a few test I guess the results might give me a bit more idea of where I stand but one sting and all the symptoms of a anaphylactic reaction bar breathing difficulty and swelling isnt good.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 07:34:15 am by 220 »

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Im suddenly allergic
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 07:32:24 am »
Wow, that is surprising. How long have you been keeping bees? I see you have been on this board for a year.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Troutdog

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 07:34:04 am »

No worries, I dont get stung a lot maybe a couple of times a year and have never had any sort of reaction other than minor swelling like a mosquito bite so I finished putting the hive back together and walked over to the ute. Removed my gloves and stinger, had a drink and a rest for a few minutes. Started to feel a bit dizzy and then very dizzy, so started driving back to parents house about 1.5km away. After a few hundred metres I thought I might faint, sweeting and very faint so I called mum and said better come down. Meet her half way and I drove the rest of the way to the house removed my bee suit and had a cool drink and a sit down. Within minutes I was very itchy and developing welts. Drove the 5 minutes to the local hospital, by then I was red and had welts from my neck to upper calves. Took a few pills and the nurses observed me for about half hour before I went to see the Doc. Still itchy red and covered in welts, feeling a bit faint, nauseous and minor stomach cramps. Doc gave me a few more pills and a shot and kept me under observation for another 2 hours. Welts had improved slightly but still all the symptoms and vomiting so he sent me back to the nurses to observe. Another needle for the nausea some more pills, ECG blood pressure and temp every 30min for another 3 hours and the symptoms had finally abated enough to go home.

At this stage I dont know where this will leave me with bee keeping. Doc wants to see me tomorrow and run a few test I guess the results might give me a bit more idea of where I stand but one sting and all the symptoms of a anaphylactic reaction bar breathing difficulty and swelling isnt good.
Try homeopathic remedy Apis mellifera
You should see a practioner to see if you have other issues as well.

I'm not a doc so ......
I start in the winter and it gets me through the season.
Best get an epi pen as well in case you get a more severe reaction.

Good luck

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Offline 220

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 07:41:30 am »
Wow, that is surprising. How long have you been keeping bees? I see you have been on this board for a year.
Jim
Started last summer but being out side and about regualry I have been receiveing sting all my life. I can think of half dozen in the 10 or so years before I started keeping bees. Havent had one for 12 months but the last time was 3 through my gloves and nothing more than minor itching at the bites. The time before that between the eyes with the same result. If anything I thought the minor reaction on previous stings was less each time

Offline Skeggley

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 08:56:09 am »
Crikey that's no good 220, at least you didn't have breathing problems. I try to always have some antihistamines and a buddy handy when going deep because of stories like yours. Was it a hot day?

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 09:02:29 am »
If you are going to continue I think you need someone with you that can drive.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 09:21:18 am »
I cannot count the number of times I have explained to the folks here about allergic reactions and that they develop over time.  First exposure is never, ever an anaphylactic response.

I have continued to keep bees since I learned I was allergic.  I have even had a couple minor stings since.  (Some stings get way more poison in than others, such as the stinger in a glove that just barely touches the skin but doesn't penetrate.)

I wear heavy jeans, good upper body bee jacket, and heavy rubber gloves that they cannot sting thru.  Of note, I have been stung thru leather gloves.

Epi-Pen is always available but I go to 100 mg of benadryl as soon as possible - like stop what you are doing and get it on board - and anti-itch creams to keep from spreading the allergen.

So, I have survived 5 years since I learned that I was allergic.  People think I am crazy.  I am just like....I am going to die of something, bee sting is much less painful than my heart attack.  Make your choice as an informed decision.
Jack
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 11:50:38 am »
"..I am going to die of something"

Exactly.
For one year in a suit 220 has done well to only have this event now.

Commisserations to ya 220. On the bright side, you got to tick the
B'keep gig off the bucket list ;-)

Bill

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 12:02:15 pm »
Epi-Pen is always available but I go to 100 mg of benadryl as soon as possible - like stop what you are doing and get it on board - and anti-itch creams to keep from spreading the allergen.

I'll expand a little on this excellent advice.  I have really big reactions, but not anaphylactic so far.  In addition to the Benadryl pills, I keep liquid Benadryl everywhere I work bees, including in my truck for swarm removal. It is formulated for kids and so I don't worry about dose if I need to swig some. Before I do anything where I think I am likely to get stung, like deep inspections or removals, I take Loratadine. 

If you get epi pens, get two.  They are short acting and you may need more than one if you are away from medical care.  Teach someone who is usually around how to use them on you.  You don't want someone having to read instructions when you are not breathing.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 12:47:27 pm »
When you see your doctor make sure to ask about allergy shots. If you want to continue to keep bees I highly advise it.
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.

Offline 220

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2018, 05:09:25 pm »
Cant seem to load any pictures this link should show just how red I ended up
http://www.australianhunting.net/gallery/5096-280218075006.jpeg

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2018, 05:14:26 pm »
yikes.  That's not good!   :shocked:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Anybrew2

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2018, 05:19:27 pm »
Yo 220, about 20 years ago I had a similar experience with a Bee Sting. I was stung on the top of my ugly head and got dizzy and actually lost the ability to see for about 10 minutes. Rushed to hospital and my vision returned and the dizziness went away and the feeling of nausea stopped.
I avoided Bee's for years. I am now a hobbyist Beek and get stung alot and have no reaction at all except general swelling and itchiness.

Apparent not all stings are the same.......

Cheers
Steve
Dubbo

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2018, 07:29:44 pm »
220, Im so sorry for your experience.

?one sting and all the symptoms of a anaphylactic reaction bar breathing difficulty and swelling isnt good.?

Some notes, anaphylactic shock and anaphylaxis reaction are two different clinical cases,  each with a different resolve.

Yes, yes, yes, talk with your doctor, the sooner the better.
Blessings

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2018, 10:37:21 pm »
Geez, what kind of bees are you wrangling there in Australia! 220 and Anybrew, those are some intense sting reactions!

Offline Skeggley

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2018, 09:56:41 am »
Geez, what kind of bees are you wrangling there in Australia! 220 and Anybrew, those are some intense sting reactions!
I'd take one of those bee stings over an encounter with a drop bear any day.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2018, 03:55:41 pm »
That stinks. I have yet to take a sting through my ultra breeze. Go see a doc though and get some better gloves if the doc give you the all clear.

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2018, 10:13:17 pm »
I'd take one of those bee stings over an encounter with a drop bear any day.

Not forgetting the boffins have yet to even find a Yowie
let alone build an epipen for that "shat daks" experience!!

Bill

Offline 220

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2018, 07:07:58 pm »
I was stung on the top of my ugly head and got dizzy and actually lost the ability to see for about 10 minutes.

Interesting you say that, wife of a beekeeper in town asked me exactly that yesterday. Her husband isnt allergic to bees but duck eggs, a few crumbs of a cake is enough for him to have a reaction like mine and he loses his sight as well.

Back to see the doc next week and go over the blood results. Should be able to make a better decision on what I do after that.
I would like to keep beekeeping but don't wont to put myself at risk, against that I keep thinking I will get stung again anyway. I guess when I wasn't beekeeping I got stung every 2/3 years.

Offline 220

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2018, 01:42:32 am »
Don?t know if it is good or bad news but my blood test came back as negative for bee venom allergy.
Good in that I am not allergic but leaves a big question over the reaction I had last week. Doc isnt overly concerned about me continuing with bees. He has prescribed prednisolone tablets to be taken if I start to have any sort of reaction to a sting and instructions to get straight to hospital.
I am lucky in that the my bee sites on my parents and brothers farms are both within about 3.5km of the local hospital.
At this stage I am going to continue beekeeping and see what happens, the only change will be that I will make sure I have someone tag along whenever I am working them.