Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Are Minnesota bees lazy?  (Read 3589 times)

Offline 2-Wheeler

• House Bee
    • http://www.beesandblooms.org
Are Minnesota bees lazy?
« on: June 24, 2008, 11:33:56 pm »
We've been having a great spring nectar flow and it looks like the beginning of a good season here on the front range of the Rockies. One hive (Italians) has two supers packed and capped and has started loading the third. The other hive (Minnesota Hygienics) seems quite strong, but has only capped about 30% of the first super. Are they lazy by nature?

On a warm day (about 92F) they are hanging out on the front porch being lazy, while the Italians next door are working hard as usual. Both hives are equipped with SBBs and vented covers.
Has anyone else noticed such a difference in behavior?

Here is a photo (Italians on left, Minnesotans on right)
-David Broberg   CWOP#: CW5670 / CoCoRaHS #CO-BO-218
Blog: http://beesandblooms.blogspot.com/
My Weather: http://www.leyner.org/
My Flickr Album: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dbroberg/

Offline Hivehead

• New Bee
Re: Are Minnesota bees lazy?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 12:18:09 am »
They're just waiting for the appropriate time to go next door and get what they need from the itallians when they're not home  :-D

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 12:39:30 am »
We've been having a great spring nectar flow and it looks like the beginning of a good season here on the front range of the Rockies. One hive (Italians) has two supers packed and capped and has started loading the third. The other hive (Minnesota Hygienics) seems quite strong, but has only capped about 30% of the first super. Are they lazy by nature?

On a warm day (about 92F) they are hanging out on the front porch being lazy, while the Italians next door are working hard as usual. Both hives are equipped with SBBs and vented covers.
Has anyone else noticed such a difference in behavior?

Here is a photo (Italians on left, Minnesotans on right)

Oh I see you have the honey run covers. How wonderful. I cannot imagine them bearding like that with the SBB and those wonderful covers.

I do not have an answer to your question, but I was wondering if you noticed less mites in the Minnesota hive??? I believe they are breed for that.

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 12:58:24 am »
Looks like just bearding to me.  It is odd with those covers and SBB but who knows.  I wouldn't worry to much about it unless they are overcrowded.  You check for that?

I believe they are breed for that

Hygienic behavior, yes.

If I may, the hive on the right looks like an accident waiting to happen (and looks like it's already leaning backward).  Can those little twigs for legs really hold 400-600 pounds in high winds and torrential down pours?
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline 2-Wheeler

• House Bee
    • http://www.beesandblooms.org
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 01:31:27 am »
Thanks for the replies.

I wouldn't worry to much about it unless they are overcrowded.  You check for that?
Well, we added an extra super today, just to be sure there was enough room.

if I may, the hive on the right looks like an accident waiting to happen (and looks like it's already leaning backward).  Can those little twigs for legs really hold 400-600 pounds in high winds and torrential down pours?
No, it must be the wide-angle lens distortion, that hive is level and the posts are quite steady and go about 15" down into the ground. I'm actually more concerned about the other one. I need to add some shims to level it up due to some sagging.
-David Broberg   CWOP#: CW5670 / CoCoRaHS #CO-BO-218
Blog: http://beesandblooms.blogspot.com/
My Weather: http://www.leyner.org/
My Flickr Album: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dbroberg/

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 09:33:19 am »
I need to add some shims to level it up due to some sagging.

I have a bit of this going on too.  I may have to put some gravel underneath the cinder blocks to make the ground more firm.  Always something.   :-\
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline tymersterk

• Brood
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 11:30:43 pm »
Yes they absolutely are.  I will provide an anecdote to this claim.  Anywho, around mid july 2010, in deerwood minnesota, a bee landed on my boat in the middle of bay lake.  Apparently, the lazy minnesota bee did not have enough energy to make it all the way across the lake without stopping.  Most likely because it did not spend enough time flying and was out of shape.  I felt intruded by the bee so I smashed the life out of the poor idiot with a towel.  It is no longer lazy, now it is dead.  Ultimately, the bee's laziness was the cause of its demise.  In my main residence of orange county, CA, bees are hard working, disciplined, and honey-driven.  Based on scientific evidence and personal experience, I deduce that any California bee could have easily made it accross without any need for rest.

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 12:24:12 pm »
Yes they absolutely are.  I will provide an anecdote to this claim.  Anywho, around mid july 2010, in deerwood minnesota, a bee landed on my boat in the middle of bay lake.  Apparently, the lazy minnesota bee did not have enough energy to make it all the way across the lake without stopping.  Most likely because it did not spend enough time flying and was out of shape.  I felt intruded by the bee so I smashed the life out of the poor idiot with a towel.  It is no longer lazy, now it is dead.  Ultimately, the bee's laziness was the cause of its demise.  In my main residence of orange county, CA, bees are hard working, disciplined, and honey-driven.  

Very odd first post. Welcome, but still a little out there.  Not all bees in Minnesota are Minnesota Hygienic bees. Just because one landed on your boat doesn't mean it was one of those "lazy MH" bees. You sound like the Kim Jong Il of bee morale. If you arn't working hard enough, you get squashed with a towel.  :-D Just poking fun, no offense intended. I got a good laugh.

Based on scientific evidence and personal experience, I deduce that any California bee could have easily made it accross without any need for rest.

What scientific evidence are you talking about? I don't remember reading any articles in ABJ or BC talking about how far California bees (or any others) can fly without a break. I also don't remember reading that any bee could be 'out of shape'. I guess it's possible though, never really thought about it.

I havn't noticed my MH bees being lazy. I don't keep records of honey produced though. I usually just throw it all together. But in doing so, I can't say that I pull crazy amounts of honey off one hive, while pulling nothing off my MH. They are essentially just neat freak Italians. That's all.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 10:34:25 am by specialkayme »

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 12:26:03 pm »
Sorry, double post.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 10:33:32 am by specialkayme »

Offline tymersterk

• Brood
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 10:14:36 pm »
Yes they absolutely are.  I will provide an anecdote to this claim.  Anywho, around mid july 2010, in deerwood minnesota, a bee landed on my boat in the middle of bay lake.  Apparently, the lazy minnesota bee did not have enough energy to make it all the way across the lake without stopping.  Most likely because it did not spend enough time flying and was out of shape.  I felt intruded by the bee so I smashed the life out of the poor idiot with a towel.  It is no longer lazy, now it is dead.  Ultimately, the bee's laziness was the cause of its demise.  In my main residence of orange county, CA, bees are hard working, disciplined, and honey-driven. 

Very odd first post. Welcome, but still a little out there.  You sound like the Kim Jong Il of bee morale. If you arn't working hard enough, you get squashed with a towel.  :-D Just poking fun, no offense intended. I got a good laugh.

Based on scientific evidence and personal experience, I deduce that any California bee could have easily made it accross without any need for rest.

What scientific evidence are you talking about? I don't remember reading any articles in ABJ or BC talking about how far California bees (or any others) can fly without a break. I also don't remember reading that any bee could be 'out of shape'. I guess it's possible though, never really thought about it.

I havn't noticed my MH bees being lazy. I don't keep records of honey produced though. I usually just throw it all together. But in doing so, I can't say that I pull crazy amounts of honey off one hive, while pulling nothing off my MH. They are essentially just neat freak Italians. That's all.

Offline lisascenic

• House Bee
    • My Blog, "How's Robb?"
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2010, 03:06:16 am »
Midwesterners are more laconic. That's not laziness! 

Offline troutstalker2

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 11:57:22 am »

The ones on the right are waiting for their stimulus check.

David

anything