Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Queen rearing with NO flow  (Read 7667 times)

Offline BeeTexas

• New Bee
Queen rearing with NO flow
« on: August 18, 2014, 01:26:10 pm »
I have recently read a few post where people are raising queens. There is no measurable nectar flow right now in our area. I spoke with one commercial beek, he stated that he will wait until spring to raise quality queens, then I saw a post where a bee club was grafting-and stated as long as there are drones they don't have any problems. I was initiated into bee keeping by an OOoold beek, he always re-inforced not to against the natural cycles of the bees in your area. We will make a few during the fall flow, then take a break until early spring.

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
Re: Queen rearing with NO flow
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 06:16:34 pm »
the commercial bee keeper is not playing with a hobby; his lively hood depends on his knowledge and has probably forgotten more bee lore than several bee clubs will gain in a lifetime.  thanks to a texas commercial for a pile of information he freely gave me
to bee or not to bee

Offline BeeTexas

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 01:39:52 pm »
Bud, I think you hit the nail on the head with that one. The club is playing, and the Commercial is about his livelyhood.

Offline Packrat3wires

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 10:31:07 pm »
I agree.   I will always take the advice of someone who is putting food on the table with their knowledge as opposed to someone who is a hobbyist!
"evil prevails when good men fail to act"   Edmund Burke

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 12:38:00 am »
Make as many as you can as early as you can. If you get more than you need at the time make some nucs, bank a few, replace a weak Queen, etc. d2

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 11:34:20 am »
I go with the knowledge of the commercial bee keeper.
I have as high as a 95% success rate in the early part of the year but after July the success rate drops tremendously.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 10:27:15 am »
Where I live there is usually a strong golden rod flow from mid August through September. Wouldn't that be a good time to raise queens? I haven't done any queen rearing yet but I would think that would be a very good time to do it. But I do have to say that queen rearing with no flow is likely to get dud queens.
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin