Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Randy Oliver's article  (Read 6030 times)

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Randy Oliver's article
« on: November 01, 2008, 10:50:51 pm »
I have been asked to post this article by Randy Oliver which is in the Nevada County Beekeeping Association November Newsletter.

http://www.countryrubes.com/images/Microsoft_Word_-_Novdraft_08_working2.pdf

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: Randy Oliver's article
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 10:56:35 pm »
Interesting. Thank you.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 02:17:03 pm »
Couple things that I'm not sure of,  one is that he talks about proportional changes instead of giving actual mite counts or at least mean mite counts of the hives being monitored.  I don't get a true sense of what happen.   There is a big difference in a hive dropping 4 mites that previously dropped 2 mites and a hive dropping 400 mites that previously dropped 200 mites.  Both doubled :-\

Secondly, it doesn't address my main concern with sugar shakes, that being the stress and disturbance caused by the process and the relative frequent occurrence of treatment.

I did however like the following.  I think we suffer from this more than we like to admit.   I experienced this many years ago when essential oils where "the answer". People have good intentions, and want to find something that works and therefore unintentionally/subconsciously interpret their results with rose colored glasses.

beekeeper may completely convince himself that a certain method is “working” since their bees survived last season. In actuality, the bees’ survival may have be due to other factors; the beekeeper’s pet treatment may have been of little more benefit than a placebo, yet made the beekeeper feel good because they were doing something!

Thanks for sharing, it is always good to see things like this.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 08:00:23 am »
Robo,

Of course that happens as Randy has stated. Beekeepers convince themselves all the time of one thing or another.

I think its about the same as promoting one bee supplement over another, while ignoring the fact that some have excessive amounts of sugar, which in turn helps the bees eat it faster. Then using this consumption rate, as some marketing ploy to sell a product, with shoddy data presented as some scientific experiments. All the while using terms such as "proportional"  Hmmmmm...now where did I see that stuff before?   :-D

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 08:04:13 am »
My guess is that they usually survive in spite of us.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Cacklewack

• New Bee
    • Bee Thinking
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 07:52:16 pm »
My guess is that they usually survive in spite of us.

:-D