Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Paper Wasp Stages  (Read 6900 times)

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Paper Wasp Stages
« on: July 02, 2022, 07:56:50 pm »
Last night while us adults were watching a rom-com (Table 19, I would highly recommend it) my young siblings were being biologists.  They found a small paper wasp nest under the eaves of their chicken barn, and they fly-swattered the four adults who were guarding the nest to death and took down the nest.  Then on the spur of the moment, they decided to dissect it.  When the movie was over, they showed me all the developmental stages of the wasps that they had removed from the nest, from egg to pupa. I was super impressed with the kids' work.  :grin: I was also extremely surprised to find that the wasp larvae appear to have strangely spherical bodies.  :shocked:  Who knew!   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Paper Wasp Stages
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2022, 09:10:43 pm »
Nice pictures. These make good fish bait!
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2022, 09:19:43 pm »
Nice pictures. These make good fish bait!
Thanks.  I actually pulled a frame of drones today for that purpose. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Occam

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2023, 10:32:25 pm »
Such a cool post. Love seeing the different developmental stages
Entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2023, 08:11:47 am »
I used to take them down to put them back up in the eves of Terry Combs house.  We would spray them with water until they fell, pick the nest, and put it in a jar, wait for them to get dry and land on the nest, put the lid (with holes of course) on and take it back to his house.  Then dump them out, wait for them to settle again, spray hem wet and put the nest up.  I suppose we could have easily dissected it when it was free of wasps instead of putting them in the jar.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin