Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Requeening.  (Read 5421 times)

Offline OPAVP

• House Bee
Requeening.
« on: August 30, 2014, 09:35:31 pm »
I have 2 hives with Hawaian queens. They came with the packages late April. Hawaian queens do not overwinter as well as northern bred queens. I disposed of them and am introducing new ones,from up here, into the hives. Will these new queens start laying if the find open foundation?
Or do they wait untill all the old brood has emerged? What's your take on this?
Cor Van Pelt.
Alberta.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Requeening.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 10:27:41 pm »
I have 2 hives with Hawaian queens. They came with the packages late April. Hawaian queens do not overwinter as well as northern bred queens. I disposed of them and am introducing new ones,from up here, into the hives. Will these new queens start laying if the find open foundation?
Or do they wait untill all the old brood has emerged? What's your take on this?
Cor Van Pelt.
Alberta.

If the new queens are mated they will lay eggs in every available cell in the brood chamber if there are enough bees to cover the brood.
One early spring I bought a queen for a large queen less hive. I was able to get it because the nuc it was in would not grow. This hive was very small. I put it in the hive with lots of drawn comb. . About 2 weeks later I open the hive and it had brood in every cell, corner to corner, from frame 1 to frame 10'.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

anything