Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: In ground hive of bees.  (Read 2169 times)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
In ground hive of bees.
« on: May 15, 2018, 07:41:19 am »
I was at a auto salvage yard turning in the paperwork for my wife?s VW. It was totaled due to rear ending another car. This is the same location that I had removed a bunch of bees from a wreck after the swarm had left. While talking to the owner, he mentioned that he had a hive in the ground in his lot behind the salvage yard. He said there were hundreds of bees pouring in and out of it every time he was near it. He said the first time he saw it he was on a tractor and almost drove over it but was never attached by the bees. He said you can see white material at the entrance. We went out to take a look and here is what I found:

You cannot see it in this picture but there is a non stop flow of bees from this hive. As I was getting near it I thought for sure they must bee bees due to the constant flow of bees. When I saw the paper entrance I was really concerned about being that close to it. I looked long enough to see black wings on a black and yellow striped wasp. The wings are longer than the body.
I have never seen a wasp or hornet hive any where near as strong as this hive.
I have a short video of it I hope to be able to add.
I sent Jamie Ellis the picture and video in hopes of finding out what type of wasp it is.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
Re: In ground hive of bees.
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 07:53:39 am »
That?s a whole box of bad news right there.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 08:19:06 am »
Wow good thing he didn't run over it when he was on the tractor.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 08:54:56 am »
Wow good thing he didn't run over it when he was on the tractor.
Yes. I was very Leary being that close and it was raining.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin