Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Slatted bottom racks  (Read 1538 times)

Offline beejack1

• Brood
Slatted bottom racks
« on: December 31, 2016, 08:21:51 pm »
Hello all and a happy new year to everyone here. I am new to beekeeping and plan on starting this spring. I am planning on going to top entrances and was wondering if a slatted bottom rack would work with these entrances. Thank you for the site and for accepting me.
Jack Knowles

Offline gww

• Super Bee
Re: Slatted bottom racks
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 11:13:14 pm »
beej...
First let me say I am new and not very experianced.  I do have slatted racks on my hives.  I can not see you gaining the benifit of using them with a top only entrance.  If you keep your bottom entrance also you would get the benifit which as I understand it is to stop draft at the entrance and and allow brood to be able to be layed closer to the bottom.  You also gain a staging area for extra bees to hang out.  This is my two cents and aslo my welcome to you.  There are lots smarter people on bees here then me.
Cheers
gww

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 01:44:47 am »
Beejack,
Welcome to BeeMaster.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 11:51:25 am »
Welcome to the forum!   

I thought the purpose of slatted racks at the bottom was to give bearding bees a place to go away from the brood, but still within the hive.   You'd need a bottom entrance for that.    And it seems that if it's hot enough for them to be bearding, it wouldn't hurt to have both an upper and lower entrance.
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 06:25:52 am »
Welcome
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

anything