Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Any wild hogs in your area?  (Read 8702 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Any wild hogs in your area?
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2021, 11:09:43 pm »
Thanks for sharing you method Mr Cool ":cool:" bees! 👍🏻
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2021, 08:35:25 am »

I de-bone an animal the moment it hits the ground.
Very interesting.  In my home town it was a common practice to hang a deer for weeks.  This process was done to tenderize the meat.  I believe it is done in commercial meat packing houses.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2021, 02:56:54 pm »

I de-bone an animal the moment it hits the ground.
Very interesting.  In my home town it was a common practice to hang a deer for weeks.  This process was done to tenderize the meat.  I believe it is done in commercial meat packing houses.

The term for hanging meat is "Aging".

I've worked cattle, and toured several large slaughter/processing houses. In today's Internet competitive pack-and-ship world, Aging is not the norm because it's too expensive - but it is done some.

Aging is perfectly fine, if it's done properly. However, it seems to reduce the delicate flavors of the meat, imo. I've done it both ways - however, stealing a line from the movie Lord of War, "Thank you, but I prefer it my way".   :grin:

Regarding the Slaughter Houses: watching a cow have its hide ripped off by a machine while semi-conscious tears my heart. When one [occasionally] wakes up and screams .... well ... ... I find it amusing when someone says, "how can you hurt a poor animal when you hunt" ... clearly they've never been to a slaughter house. I ask them one question, "are you a vegetarian?" ...
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2021, 07:00:12 pm »
Regarding the Slaughter Houses: watching a cow have its hide ripped off by a machine while semi-conscious tears my heart. When one [occasionally] wakes up and screams .... well ... ... I find it amusing when someone says, "how can you hurt a poor animal when you hunt" ... clearly they've never been to a slaughter house. I ask them one question, "are you a vegetarian?" ...
That is horrible and makes me feel great about eating my own animals. 

I've done it both ways - however, stealing a line from the movie Lord of War, "Thank you, but I prefer it my way".   :grin:
That movie was so meh. 

I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2021, 09:33:15 pm »
When I have a steer butchered we have it aged between 17 to 21 days. The enzymes in the meat break down the fiber in the meat. We call it enzymes but it is really mold on the outside of the meat that makes it tender. The meat has to have a certain amount of fat to allow the mold to do its job without damaging the meat. You also have to watch the amount of mold. You don?t want it to get too thick.  The more fat on it the longer it can age.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2021, 03:51:08 am »

Agreed. I don't enjoy taking a life much - but it's so worth it to know it's quality. Whether you raise them, or hunt them, it's much better for your body than the processed stuff at the store, with "red color added"...

That movie was so meh.

Yeah - it was. But I like the way he said that line. Wish I could duplicate his accent.  :grin:
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2021, 09:04:02 am »
I ask them one question, "are you a vegetarian?" ...
No but clearly the less meat you eat the healthier you are.
(edited for my friend Phil)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 10:51:13 am by Acebird »
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2021, 10:33:54 am »

Agreed. I don't enjoy taking a life much - but it's so worth it to know it's quality. Whether you raise them, or hunt them, it's much better for your body than the processed stuff at the store, with "red color added"...
Ich, so true.  My family is not yet at the point where we can raise/hunt for all our meat, but it's something we are working towards. 

That movie was so meh.

Yeah - it was. But I like the way he said that line. Wish I could duplicate his accent.  :grin:
Seriously, what is with Nicholas Cage's voice?  It is so weird, kind of like he's talking through his teeth.  I am a connoisseur of accents, and his is extremely difficult to copy. 

I ask them one question, "are you a vegetarian?" ...
No but clearly the less meat you eat the healthier you are.  My area is predominately republican so the restaurants cater to meat eaters.  That is one of my "beefs" (ha, ha) around here.
I think that's true to a point.  I agree that people eat too much meat in their diet generally, but I think it's also difficult to be a healthy vegetarian and get all the nutrients your body needs without any meat.  I'm not saying there aren't people who can successfully eat vegetarian/vegan, because I know there are, but it can be a challenge.  Human are designed to be omnivores after all.     
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2021, 11:00:39 am »
I'm not saying there aren't people who can successfully eat vegetarian/vegan, because I know there are, but it can be a challenge.
Yes, omnivores, but people that eat just vegetables are generally more healthy than people that eat just meat.
I agree with you that eating your own raised animal is healthier than market meats.  However eating wild animals poses a risk because you can't control what they eat and what they are exposed to.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2021, 12:06:40 pm »
I'm not saying there aren't people who can successfully eat vegetarian/vegan, because I know there are, but it can be a challenge.
Yes, omnivores, but people that eat just vegetables are generally more healthy than people that eat just meat.
I agree with you that eating your own raised animal is healthier than market meats.  However eating wild animals poses a risk because you can't control what they eat and what they are exposed to.
Does anyone in modern western society eat just meat?  I know there are indigenous cultures, like up far north that eat almost exclusively meat, but they eat the WHOLE animal, organs, eyes, brains, marrow, all of it, and I don't see how those people are any less healthy than cultures that eat mostly vegetables.         

Offline AustinB

• House Bee
  • Christian, father, outdoorsman
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2021, 11:43:22 am »

[/quote]
Does anyone in modern western society eat just meat?  I know there are indigenous cultures, like up far north that eat almost exclusively meat, but they eat the WHOLE animal, organs, eyes, brains, marrow, all of it, and I don't see how those people are any less healthy than cultures that eat mostly vegetables.         
[/quote]

I'd like to meet someone who only eats meat. I have questions....  :cool:

Pretty sure the data that shows veggie peeps are healthier than meatie peeps, is about as reliable as a politician. Same for the other way around too for that matter. We need a good litmus test...
I know! Someone should poll Olympic gold medal winners and see how many are veggies and how many are meaties lol
The just man walketh in his integrity: his children are blessed after him.
Proverbs 20:7

Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Proberbs 16:24

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2021, 01:11:40 pm »

Pretty sure the data that shows veggie peeps are healthier than meatie peeps, is about as reliable as a politician. Same for the other way around too for that matter. We need a good litmus test...
I know! Someone should poll Olympic gold medal winners and see how many are veggies and how many are meaties lol
Ha!  :cheesy:  That would be one of those worse than a darn lie statistics that Twain referenced.  :cheesy: :grin:   
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 06:51:33 pm by The15thMember »

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2021, 09:25:40 am »

I know someone that lives predominantly on hamburgers.  He is a runner and quite healthy.  This is not the norm though.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2021, 09:28:58 am »

I know someone that lives predominantly on hamburgers.  He is a runner and quite healthy.  This is not the norm though.

The only one I have heard of who ate mostly hamburgers was Wimpy! He was certainly not a runner! 😊
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2021, 02:06:18 pm »
Being in a valley in the rainforest, we have wild board on our property all the time--and they are good eats!  As CoolBees mentioned, they can be quite aggressive and are surprisingly intelligent.  A buddy and I hunt them regularly and bring home the bacon.  ;). They are quite destructive to property here, uprooting yards and damaging landscaping.

Offline AustinB

• House Bee
  • Christian, father, outdoorsman
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2021, 12:12:17 pm »
Being in a valley in the rainforest, we have wild board on our property all the time--and they are good eats!  As CoolBees mentioned, they can be quite aggressive and are surprisingly intelligent.  A buddy and I hunt them regularly and bring home the bacon.  ;). They are quite destructive to property here, uprooting yards and damaging landscaping.
Awesome! I haven't met a hog yet that isn't a destructive selfish pig :)
The just man walketh in his integrity: his children are blessed after him.
Proverbs 20:7

Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Proberbs 16:24

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2021, 10:19:33 pm »