Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: So is anybody planning an expansion in 2014?  (Read 18202 times)

Offline NCbeekeep

• New Bee
Re: So is anybody planning an expansion in 2014?
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2014, 11:00:39 pm »
This year I plan to replace my dead hive ( only one so far ). I also would like to raise a few queens, maybe with the Miller method or other non-grafting method. I would also like to go into the winter with two or three nucs. This year I also will try and take better care of my bees, such as better management for swarm control, disease and pest, and honey production.
   Considering that it rained all last year, I spent about $300 on five hives & got 5lbs of honey, I am not excited about putting very much money into beekeeping this year. I would like to go see/hear some good beekeeping speakers this year.
William

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2014, 01:04:04 pm »
This year I plan to replace my dead hive ( only one so far ). I also would like to raise a few queens, maybe with the Miller method or other non-grafting method. I would also like to go into the winter with two or three nucs. This year I also will try and take better care of my bees, such as better management for swarm control, disease and pest, and honey production.
  Considering that it rained all last year, I spent about $300 on five hives & got 5lbs of honey, I am not excited about putting very much money into beekeeping this year. I would like to go see/hear some good beekeeping speakers this year.

NC,
With 5 hives wintered over, you will be surprised how much honey 5 hives can make. Especially if you have a good flow.
Good luck
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Kamon Reynolds

• New Bee
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2014, 02:43:55 am »
have 90. Buying 160 packages and will feed split and shoot for 500 min. by fall. I raise my own queens so that helps with expenses. Also I have access to a sawmill so the price of equipment is a 1/3.

I only buy frames.
Kamon Reynolds.   

To bee or not to bee? What a stupid question........

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2014, 03:03:58 pm »
Dang Kamon, and I thought my goals were lofty!!   Go man GO!
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2014, 08:55:19 pm »
have 90. Buying 160 packages and will feed split and shoot for 500 min. by fall. I raise my own queens so that helps with expenses. Also I have access to a sawmill so the price of equipment is a 1/3.

I only buy frames.

I'm building a bandsaw sawmill from scratch. so I can cut my own wood. I have plenty of trees to cut. I have been using a chainsaw alaskan setup but it wastes to much good wood.

John

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2014, 09:31:39 am »
My primary focus in the 2014 yard will be to create more NUC colonies.  I 'plan' on going into next winter with 10-20 NUCs along with our usual 5-10 full colonies.
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."