Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bear problem solved, I hope.  (Read 1422 times)

Offline beehappy1950

• House Bee
Bear problem solved, I hope.
« on: April 11, 2012, 12:02:34 am »
I had a bear turn over a hive that I set back up on Sunday morning. The bear turned it sideways the next night. I might have scared him off while walking outside. I have a fence up that was pretty loose and the hive was sitting about 6 inches from the fence. I didnt know what else to do so I grabbed one of our radios that I usually put in the sweet corn and hooked it up. The loudest program I could find was playing new country. I hope that the new country doesnt make the bees sick. So far so good.

Offline carlfaba10t

• House Bee
Re: Bear problem solved, I hope.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 01:34:07 am »
357 mag works good here in Oregon for putting fear in bears,or 12 gauge goose gun with 00buck. Have you thought about electric fence around bee yard,that is used by a lot of people who want to keep bears on other side of fence.
Carl-I have done so much with so little for so long i can now do something with nothing!

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 09:23:49 am »
Geeze, Carl, we don't need to enrage the bears.  A not so well placed shot could mean someone's injury, never mind the poor bear.  Invest in a decent electric fence.  They work wonders for every animal I ever needed to keep out...unless they can jump over.
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 11:12:57 am »
I am with shooting the bear.   They are all over the place and get into everything when they get used to being around home ( like coyotes).   

SSS. 

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 04:16:01 pm »
I'm with Jack M and others with the same sentiment.  No need to kill something else to save bees. It's like farmers out in Idaho, Montana and Wyoming mistakenly shooting wolves to save their livestock.   But perhaps this subject would be better left to another thread elsewhere. 

I've got an electric fence up right now but I'm looking for a better solar fencer than I have now.  I posted that question as another thread on this forum.  Anybody with some good ideas, please chime in over there.  Thanks.
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Offline beehappy1950

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 04:22:13 pm »
I am probably going to use the rifle as the last effort. I dont like ending life. I think I can get by with a radio and an electric fence. I was just thinking that the radio might be an idea for someone else out there. Thanks Harold

Offline NJClydeDriver

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 04:32:41 pm »
I use an electric fence with a solar charge unit.  I put white plastic pipe over T posts that were driven into the ground and use a 4 ft metal garden fence around the entire yard.  Fence on the plastic isnt grounded out so it is very live and flowing.  then attach the fence to the charger and electrify the entire fence so anything from skunks to bears are kept out.  It sits 2 inches off the ground so nothing gets under or over without getting popped.  Key is to drive your grounding posts into the ground at least 3 ft but the deeper the better.  Put 3 in a line conected together and you are in business with a strong zapper.  Keep them spaced 7 to 10 ft apart and you are good to go.   
"To succeed, jump as quickly at opportunities as you do at conclusions"
Ben Franklin

anything