Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Which Color of Plastic Foundation Do You Prefer? Why?  (Read 3381 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Which Color of Plastic Foundation Do You Prefer? Why?
« on: June 14, 2021, 10:28:48 pm »
For those of you who use plastic foundation, which color of plastic foundation do you like best? Any reason why you prefer the color of your choice?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 12:45:33 am »
Black
Because what I need to see to do my job as the beekeeper:  the eggs and larvae are white.  Black and white contrast makes the inspections go very very quickly.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
Re: Which Color of Plastic Foundation Do You Prefer? Why?
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 05:51:20 am »
I prefer red or black for the same reason as HP.
Which do the bees prefer? First you have to establish what light system the bees have in the hive to be able to see the color.

I tend to think that inside the bee hive is as dark as a cave on a moonless night.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 09:02:18 am »
I use yellow. I have black but I have a hard time seeing eggs on it.  I can see the eggs on yellow.
Try looking at both before you buy large amounts of either one.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2021, 11:50:50 am »
I have both yellow and black. I prefer the black. For me it easier to see the eggs.

Offline Brian MCquilkin

• House Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2021, 12:11:27 pm »
I started with yellow and switched to black 3 years ago. For me, the black works really well to see eggs and larvae.
Despite my efforts the bees are doing great

Online cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2021, 12:49:07 pm »
I have yellow, black and white.  To me it doesn't matter much which color.  They all work.  Black is nice to see eggs, but when they polish the cells I get a glare in the bottom that makes it hard to see.  White or yellow is nicer in the honey supers.  You can see if any pollen is under the cappings and can tell if you have dark honey.  A lot of mine are cut in 1 inch starter strips.  So with those it really doesn't matter what color it is.

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2021, 03:35:38 pm »
Is the cheapest a option. :grin: I have black for all of mine

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2021, 06:30:44 pm »
Plastic inserts:

For brood frames definitely black.  As most said, easier to see eggs.  For honey frames, I prefer yellow.  Of course my drone brood is green.  Yep, I have 3 colors.  Remember, I am a hobbyist so my answers reflect this fact.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2021, 07:04:44 pm »
What would be interesting is which color do the bees prefer?  Consider:  a new hive with alternating yellow and black frames for the brood and same for the honey frames.

BTW: blue is the brightest color to a honey bee eye.  Very bright blue is, like hunters orange to human eyes.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Dabbler

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2021, 08:06:12 pm »
For those of you who use plastic foundation, which color of plastic foundation do you like best? Any reason why you prefer the color of your choice?

Funny you should ask.
I just installed my first batch of black foundation a couple weeks ago.
Since I started keeping bees, I have always struggled with seeing eggs.
This weekend, the eggs jumped out at me. 

I did a head slap for waiting so many years.
Black foundation brood frames will be my new standard.

Spence
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the tests first, the lessons afterwards .
-Vernon Sanders Law

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2021, 10:11:18 am »
I prefer red or black for the same reason as HP.
Which do the bees prefer? First you have to establish what light system the bees have in the hive to be able to see the color.

I tend to think that inside the bee hive is as dark as a cave on a moonless night.

Hi Mr. Beavo:  as you know, bees have 5 eyes.  The tiny 3 eyes, center top of head are for night vision in the ultra violet region of the light spectrum.  Thus:
Blue is so bright.  This is contrary to infra red vision of predatory mammals.  Soooo, inside the hive, bees see just fine.

Best of all things
Van

Offline Brian MCquilkin

• House Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2021, 11:39:07 am »

I did a head slap for waiting so many years.

Spence
In my bee operation head slappings happens regularly. Have to say changing to the black foundation was one of my better decisions.
Despite my efforts the bees are doing great

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2021, 08:05:09 pm »
I have a lot of colors.  I can see eggs MUCH better in white than black.  The black is so dark in the cells that I can't see them once there are any cocoons in the cell.  The bees can't see in the dark, so they don't care.  You can see the color of honey better with white.  If I had a choice (and I usually don't) I would pick white.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2021, 08:35:04 pm »
Thanks all ......
« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 02:20:25 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2021, 03:06:27 pm »
I have a lot of colors.  I can see eggs MUCH better in white than black.  The black is so dark in the cells that I can't see them once there are any cocoons in the cell.  The bees can't see in the dark, so they don't care.  You can see the color of honey better with white.  If I had a choice (and I usually don't) I would pick white.

Bees can see very well in the dark,  that is the purpose of the triad of eyes, center top of forehead as opposed to the large compound eyes either side of the head.

Best to everyones bees.

Offline NCNate

• New Bee
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2021, 04:24:03 pm »
I have some black and some yellow. I like the black MUCH better.
I've also had to start wearing reading glasses while I inspect hives. It sucks getting old.

Offline Barhopper

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2021, 09:07:02 pm »
Yellow

Offline tycrnp

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2021, 11:35:03 pm »
Black, easier for me to see the eggs.  I've never seen white or green!

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2021, 10:56:54 pm »
Watched a movie recently. The elder character kept saying that getting old sucks.  By the end of the movie he turned and said; getting old is a gift that many are not blessed with.
With age comes experience. With experience comes knowledge. Applied knowledge is wisdom. As we become more wise to we tend to choose what makes things easier for us.  For example: black foundation in the brood nest.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.