Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Pistol Braces  (Read 3211 times)

salvo

Pistol Braces
« on: February 11, 2023, 08:54:54 am »
Hi Folks,

My opinions on this aren't strong... yet.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/henneke-by-all-means-let-s-have-some-common-sense-on-pistol-braces/ar-AA17m39Q?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=27f21bbb5f9046b3a309bc3935c9fb68

Is it foolish to think this could spill over to laser sights? What about elaborate target grips? They *brace* pistols in the hand.

Sal

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
Re: Pistol Braces
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2023, 04:15:43 pm »
The pistol you show does not have a brace, that is a target grip.

What they are after is a "brace" that goes to the arm or more likely to the shoulder.
At this point it makes it a short barreled rifle which is illegal unless you have the license for it.
A rifle barrel must have a barrel length of 16" or longer, any shorter than 16" it is classified as a pistol.

After a little while it really starts to get technical and they can pinch you on not understanding the laws.

A lot of this really comes down to concealment if you ask me.

some reading for you........

https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations/factoring-criteria-firearms-attached-stabilizing-braces

those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2023, 09:03:20 pm »
They will pick at things forever, but the real danger is what they might do with ammo.  No ammo, no weapon...other than making it an expensive club.  CA is already working on that with the ID and registration to buy. 

This is what CA has done.
https://www.shouselaw.com/ca/defense/gun-laws/

My state has gone farther in many ways, although this is held up in court for the moment.  The people of Portland and Eugene shove this one off on us. A bunch of religious and SJ people worked on getting this passed, but no one think in it will fix the mess they have made of the state with crime, etc.
https://ballotpedia.org/Oregon_Measure_114,_Changes_to_Firearm_Ownership_and_Purchase_Requirements_Initiative_(2022)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2023, 08:38:44 pm »
What are SJ people?
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2023, 09:23:53 pm »
Sorry.  "Social Justice" sometimes referred to as Social Justice Warriors.  The ones who are not prosecuting crimes, letting people out of jail, and calling for things like defunding the police.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

salvo

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2023, 11:37:24 pm »
Hi Folks,

Looks like a LOT of SJW's are out there.

Watch the video. It takes a minute to load.

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/maher-stunned-when-audience-doesnt-applaud-call-for-dems-to-admit-some-people-belong-in-jail/

Sal

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2023, 08:24:27 am »
Although they are not being consistent about the matter, the main issue is whether or not a pistol brace is a butt stock.  First the ATF said it was not and people bought 40 million of them.  Now they want to say they are, but their rules are ambiguous and confusing.  Rather than just say they are a stock, they are saying you not only have to remove them (because a stock on a pistol makes it a SBR) they are saying you have to modify them so they can't be used.  This makes no sense if they are a stock as they simply snap onto any tube on any AR15 regardless of barrel length, so why do I have to modify them?  If they are just a stock, then I'm just not allowed to put them on a pistol.  But I should be able to put them on any gun with a 16" or longer barrel.  I wish they would at least clarify this.  They tried this argument about owning a stock that COULD be put on a pistol when Thompson Center Arms came out with Contender barrels and stocks that could be used as a rifle.  They arrested a man for owning both pistol stocks and rifle stocks and both short barrels (<16") and long barrels (>16") because they said he COULD assemble them as a short barreled rifle by putting the rifle stock on and a short barrel on.  The judge said they could not charge him unless he actually assembled it as a short barreled rifle.  Yet now the ATF is saying if you have a pistol brace, which they are now calling a stock, and a short barreled AR15 pistol that you own an SBR even though you haven't assembled it in that way.  Which violates the precedent.  I'm sure the courts will eventually sort it out, but I would not want to be the test case.  The ATF has already been decided against in the bump stock rule and likely will get struck down or at least limited in this.  The NFA SBR laws never made sense and has been changed several times because they don't make sense.  At first all rifles had to have barrels 18" or more.  Then they changed it so .22 rimfire barrels could be 16".  Then when a lot of surplus 6.5 Swedish carbines and .30 M1 carbines came on the market with 17" and 16" barrels they changed it for high powered rifles.  Part of the dilemma was that they had already sold thousands of the .30 M1 carbines to civilians and realized that they had made them all felons by selling them SBRs.  The entire precept of all of the NFA rules was to outlaw "scary" rifles and shotguns (the ones being used by Gangsters that were not being used by civilians).  Actually a lot of them were because the original law before being amended, was an attempt to outlaw pistols and so they were trying to outlaw any work around.  Then they realized they could never get it passed with so they took out the pistol ban.  It's not like a SBR is deadlier than a pistol.  You can buy a pistol in any rifle caliber you like and it's not an SBR yet it's illegal to convert a rifle to a pistol even though that same pistol is on the market already.  In other words, two identical guns and one is legal and the other is not.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Occam

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2023, 02:27:06 pm »
In broad strokes and generalities it would seem that they are trying to make you break the law, not just where it comes to guns, but your everyday life. Agencies make or alter rules all the time and while they may not attempt to find and prosecute violators (yet), they are making it so that you're guilty of something, somewhere. If you start speaking up too much about something, or start having too much impact then they can pull out the card that you've broken the law and can keep you tied up in legal red tape. Making one rule, then reversing it is frustrating to law abiding citizens but is just another strategic play for unelected officials.
Entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2023, 09:36:22 am »
We also have a federal law about guns within 1000 yards of a school.  When you take into account the number of schools most anyone who is carrying is passing within 1000 yards of a school most of the time.  So if you are concealed carrying in a constitutional carry state, you are probably in violation of federal law most of the time.  This all seems to be an attempt to turn all gun owners into felons.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything