Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Ruger No. 1  (Read 4059 times)

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
Ruger No. 1
« on: April 25, 2022, 11:29:07 pm »
Picked up an old man gun the other day. eBay had a nice Burris gloss scope to match it. It?s a shame you can?t buy a new gloss scope anymore. I still remember the first matte scope I had to buy. I puked a little in my mouth a little as I handed them the cash. Now, that?s all you can get. This Ruger No.1 .270 deserves better.

I was always a leupold fan, recently, (7 years*\-)  I?ve switched to vortex, but I believe Burris was a decent scope. Never had one before. Never had a .270 before. I?ve done the -06 and .300WM already. Now, as an old man, as I?ve been told, I?m mostly .30-30 or .7mm-08.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
Re: Ruger No. 1
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2022, 03:23:09 pm »
Took it for a test drive today. About a half a box to get dialed in and shot one group for keeps. Still have a few rounds left for burger and shanks.

Nobody?s gonna shoot the lights out at 100yds with a 4X scope, but I could probably hit the lamp shade.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2022, 10:44:29 am »
Nice.  Beautiful rifle.  I love mine.  Also love my Browning high wall.  I'll try to post some pictures when I can.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2022, 05:51:12 pm »
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2022, 05:53:36 pm »
Is that a .45-70?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2022, 10:08:04 am »
Yes.  18" octagon barrel.  1-12 twist.  Long eye relief scope.  Those are 730gr powder coated, cast bullets going 900 fps.  This end of Nebraska I like it for deer.  Too many houses too close.  I need something that when it hits the dirt it just digs in and doesn't ricochet.  But I want more accuracy than a 12 gauge slug gun.  The first gun I've owned that I think is actually a "brush gun".  The bullet is a freight train...
-------------------

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
Ruger No. 1
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2022, 10:24:56 am »
I like a .45-70 in the woods here. I mostly shoot a .30-30, but sometimes you wanna hit them with a Greyhound bus.
Both of these are .45-70. One has a Skinner peep on it and the other has a Ranger Point sight. 1895 CB and a 1895 CBA

« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 06:48:05 am by .30WCF »

Online gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2022, 01:11:13 pm »
Nice buck.
Cheers gww

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2022, 05:51:36 pm »
Here's the size of the 730gr bullet in the 45-70.  It takes a 1-12 twist to stabilize it.
-------------------

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2022, 10:36:48 pm »
Michael,
Is that a 45 ACP bullet for comparison?
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2022, 07:11:26 pm »
Yes.  That is a regular .45 bullet.  Though it could be loaded in the 45-70 just fine as well.
-------------------

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2022, 07:23:04 pm »
Leupolds live up the road from me.   :grin:
I have one of their scopes on my hunting rifle.  It's pretty nice and it's not even one of the really spendy ones. 

What made you switch?  Just curious. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2022, 07:04:11 am »
The only Leopold I have, I can't get adjusted to where I can even see out of it.  I can adjust it so it's somewhat better at one end of the adjustment and a lot worse at the other end, but I can't ever get it in focus.  But then most scopes I have to adjust all the way one way to work very well for me.  I'm very near sighted and my glasses mess with things.  I think I can get it adjusted to work without my glasses... but that doesn't do me any good.  I'm sure it would work fine for someone with good eyesight, but then the main reason I use scopes is because I don't have good eyesight...
-------------------