Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Burr comb question  (Read 1907 times)

Offline BeeMarie

• Brood
Burr comb question
« on: June 10, 2021, 02:47:01 pm »
Hi!
Ive been keeping bee's for about two years now. Recently I've been away from my hives due to medical reasons. A friend ( who's been beekeeping longer) inspect the hive for me and there was some burr comb on the inner cover which they removed. They didn't notice the comb had some brood larva in it. Will disturbing this comb effect the hive?

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Burr comb question
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2021, 03:15:45 pm »
Hi!
Ive been keeping bee's for about two years now. Recently I've been away from my hives due to medical reasons. A friend ( who's been beekeeping longer) inspect the hive for me and there was some burr comb on the inner cover which they removed. They didn't notice the comb had some brood larva in it. Will disturbing this comb effect the hive?

Hi BeeMarie, Welcome to Beemaster. Removing Burr comb should not affect the health of your hive unless your queen was on this burr comb and removed with it.  In that case the bees will have to develop a new one provided you had eggs or larva two days of age or less. Larva of one day or less would be even better because it will take the bees a minute to realize they had lost the queen, but two days should be fine. The chances are all is well! PS hope your health has improved and is improving!
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMarie

• Brood
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2021, 03:26:49 pm »
Thank You!

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2021, 05:19:50 pm »
If the bees put burr comb in the lid or inner cover it was because they wanted more room or they saw it as spare space.
They will probably put it back because they have a reason to put it there in the first place.
Why BK's spend time cleaning things up for the bees is a mystery.It takes a lot of honey/energy to produce wax. Let the bees be bees.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2021, 05:57:42 pm »
Don't worry about the brood. It is most likely drone brood when in burr comb. They either have too large a space there, or they need more frames. Check the bee space and adjust it, and be sure they have empty space in frames to expand.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2021, 10:51:44 pm »
welcome  :happy:

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2021, 10:55:08 pm »
Welcome, Marie!  I agree with the other comments.  Those bees need some more room, and as long as there is plenty of other brood in the hive, it's not any big loss for them. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2021, 09:35:46 am »
Welcome to Beemaster.
As mentioned, removing burr comb is not a problem. If you don?t correct the spacing, they will build it back.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2021, 05:40:52 pm »
After my last experience with cross combing I've decided to spend more time cleaning those parts that get built up with propolis so the bee space will stay consistent.
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2021, 09:33:00 pm »
I find it curious that bee space has to be maintained top and sides, but not beneath the frames. I have a half inch beneath my frames. They never build any burr comb in my hives.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2021, 10:06:31 pm »
Expand that 1/2 to 3/4 in. and see how fast it gets filled, if not next to the bottom board. They will allow more space on bottom.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2021, 10:28:03 pm »
Iddee,
I have wondered about it, and I am glad to know that.
Thanks.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2021, 11:52:12 pm »
I wonder if there is more burr comb in a hive using foundation rather than foundationsless frames. In a foundationless hive, the bees build as much drone comb as the colony wants. With foundation limiting drone cell creation, perhaps they build more burr come to sastisfy that urge.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2021, 12:39:55 am »
I wonder if there is more burr comb in a hive using foundation rather than foundationsless frames. In a foundationless hive, the bees build as much drone comb as the colony wants. With foundation limiting drone cell creation, perhaps they build more burr come to sastisfy that urge.
That's an interesting idea, Bob.  I am also foundationless and my bees don't seem to build a lot of burr comb either.  But I usually give them more room earlier rather than later, so perhaps it's more of a management thing. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Burr comb question
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2021, 01:04:39 am »
I find it curious that bee space has to be maintained top and sides, but not beneath the frames. I have a half inch beneath my frames. They never build any burr comb in my hives.

Troublesome amounts of bridge comb, burr comb, or cross comb are all rooted in bee space violations. If the space is too small for a bee, they will fill and seal it off with wax and/or propolis.  If the space is too large for a bee to reach a leg out and easily navigate, they will fill it in with wax to get it down to her legspan.
In our stacked standard boxes, the frame rest is set for recess of the top bars of the frames, giving 1/2 a bee above the frame bars.  The box sides are tall enough so that there is 1/2 a bee space below the bottom bars of the frames.  When the boxes stack, you get 1 bee space between the frames inside and no major bridge comb gluing the boxes together. The boxes snap apart cleanly and restack onto another hive with no need for cleanup.
This is another reason why it is important to standardize and to not mix and match equipment from different builders. The dimensions of one builder mixed with those of another builder can result in bee space violations, and thus alot of extra work hiveside cleaning up parts to fit.
My bottom boards have a 3/4in rim. I get some nice manageable bridge comb off the bottom of the frames of 1/2in or so thick which they often fill with drone.  Just what I like. The bees do not attach it to the bottom board. They maintain a bee space walking height clearance along the bottom board.  Just enough so she can walk in to where she wants, then reach a leg up over her head to grab that bit of bridge comb and climb up the frame.
I do have a few screened bottom boards that the screen is dished down bit, beyond 1in. Those have been horrible for large amounts of bridge comb hanging off the bottom and stuck to the screen. I rarely use those boards for that reason.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 01:20:10 am by TheHoneyPump »
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.