Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee Vac discussions  (Read 8664 times)

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
Re: Bee Vac discussions
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2021, 11:44:54 am »
[
Bottom line is that having the regulator/bypass on the motor does add risks that are not present when the regulator/bypass is on the catch box.   Sounds like these risks are acceptable in your application so that is good, however it does not mean that the risks aren't real.

Exactly, having never done a cut out I know this is true.  Especially when you are 30-40 feet away from the vacuum source.  Maybe 8 ft away not as critical but still a risk.
The second thing I will add because Jim mentioned the bees puking.  When the regulator is in the catch box there is less variation of the "pressure" (not talking about flow now) in the catch box.  Maybe the fluctuations of pressure while you are sucking up bees causes the bees to get sick.  I don't know but it is a possibility of why it happens.

On the Colorado, when the system is assembled and operating, the regulator is essentially ON the catch box. It is designed differently but operates on the same principle as the Bushkill, as far as I can see.
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2021, 11:46:55 am »
Good post and good points.

> Sounds like these risks are acceptable in your application so that is good, however it does not mean that the risks aren't real.

As always, if it is working for you keep doing it ..... :-)

I would suppose being in the bee vac business you have probably seen and heard most every scenario imaginable.  Yes So far; my cutout uses have rarely placed me in such positions. Swarm removals are my main use . Therefore the variables you mention are held to a minimum, in my experience. No sticky honey hands, or insulation derbies 20 feet up on a ladder.

Now might be a good time to mention it would be a good idea for a person who does these dangerous ones, have an assistant for those hard to reach rough messy cutouts. Safety and convenience being two main reasons. An extra person on the ground, when particle, would be handy and not a bad idea to help remedy such as you described. This would or should eliminate most if not all of these unforeseen  variables making the job easier as well.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 12:10:22 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2021, 11:48:03 am »
Someday, they?ll make plexiglass buckets.)
It would be tough to keep clean and plexiglass has a tendency to crack if not very thick.  You can cut a hole in the bucket, add a screen and cover it up with a drain stopper.  Peal the stopper away when you want to look in.
I forgot to make this comment a while back.  Someone mentioned that the valve is hard to turn.  Just go to HD and get a tube of valve lubricant.  Close the valve and dab a little on each side of the ball.  There are two o-ring seals.  You don't need much.  It will make it free as a breeze.  Colorado should have done this before they shipped vacs out.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 11:59:07 am by Acebird »
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2021, 12:14:24 pm »
edit: duplicate post.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 12:28:31 pm by 2Sox »
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2021, 12:15:40 pm »
There are generous air inlets and the motors have air outlets and circulation is continuous.
We differ greatly here.  If there is no other port like the regulator supplying air to the catch box there not only is no air circulation (flow) but there is no air period.  The vacuum motor creates a partial vacuum and that by definition removes the air (oxygen) from the catch box when the hose is plug.  This is real, not make believe.  Most shop vacs run in the range of 100cfm.  If the space in the catchbox and hose is about 2 cu ft then most of the air is gone in 1.5 seconds.  I like to see a person get down a ladder in 1.5 sec.  It is a question of how long the bees can live without breathing.

I don?t think we disagree at all. The situation you describe (plugged hose) happens rarely and if you are positioned to address it immediately - or PREVENT it - which I described in an earlier post (ie, don?t work ALONE, place yourself next to the system have an assistant, use a short hose - there is no real danger to the bees.) How much risk one is willing to take is an individual choice. To me the fastest and most straightforward part of every cutout is the cutout itself.  I literally spend hours emailing, texting and speaking with each client in preparation, before I even get to the site.

The sites are often very distant from my location - on average an hour drive - which makes a visit difficult and I must review and discuss numerous photos with the client, the scaffolding person or lift equipment supplier. There are times when I must fully inspect the site which includes thermal imaging - but this adds on extra cost for the client. But 95% of the time a visit is unnecessary.

All this to say, it is the preparation and planning for the job itself that is the single MOST crucial part of the job. And that planning (and lessons learned from mistakes) that lead me to the opinions I?ve expressed here.

Robo described very real scenarios that can be completely avoided in my view - and in my experience have never had to address.

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2021, 12:44:47 pm »
Someday, they?ll make plexiglass buckets.)
It would be tough to keep clean and plexiglass has a tendency to crack if not very thick.  You can cut a hole in the bucket, add a screen and cover it up with a drain stopper.  Peal the stopper away when you want to look in.
I forgot to make this comment a while back.  Someone mentioned that the valve is hard to turn.  Just go to HD and get a tube of valve lubricant.  Close the valve and dab a little on each side of the ball.  There are two o-ring seals.  You don't need much.  It will make it free as a breeze.  Colorado should have done this before they shipped vacs out.

This is GREAT advice. Thanks, Ace.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2021, 12:45:03 pm »
I agree 2Sox, Prep ahead of time.  On my first cutout I learned the value of a small bucket of water, (I like the 2 1/2 gal. icing bucket with a handle), along with a hanging towel, both hanging from the ladder by home built ladder hooks/hangers. Similar to the hooks sold by coleman for hanging their lanterns at camping sites.
Some Gung Ho folks may go years and never consider such, continuing business as usual, full steam ahead without the added thought of small details.
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2021, 01:25:14 pm »
  The issues you write about have come up occasionally for me, but I?m able to address them pretty fast because I NEVER do cutouts on a ladder and I never do them alone.  I mean never.  In my opinion and in my experience - and I mean no insult to anyone who does - it is extremely unwise to work alone - AND dangerous.
You are much more disciplined than most beekeepers then, kudos.  I know many NWCOs that would starve if they tried sticking to this.  I guess it all comes down to the area of the country and client base.

The other reason I can avoid many of the issues you describe - and I mentioned this before - is that I never use a hose longer that 8-10 feet. From my experience, long hoses are a disaster and kill bees. This is a rule that has no exceptions for me.

Most of my guys use a 20ft as standard.   Some do not hesitate adding up to another 20ft if needed with minimal increase of dead bees.   The added stress of a few more feet ride down the hose is much less than hours being quarantined in a strange cage and then being dumped out later.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2021, 01:41:59 pm »
Now might be a good time to mention it would be a good idea for a person who does these dangerous ones, have an assistant for those hard to reach rough messy cutouts. Safety and convenience being two main reasons. An extra person on the ground, when particle, would be handy and not a bad idea to help remedy such as you described. This would or should eliminate most if not all of these unforeseen  variables making the job easier as well.

Unfortunately a lot of NWCOs are 1 man operations and don't have the luxury of employing a helper.   Safety is key and should be taken into consideration always.  I have "slowed down" as I age,   no more cut-outs 3 stories up cutting through 3 stacked  - 2x12  to get to the bees because the property owner doesn't want to inconvenience the tenants by going through the ceiling  :shocked:   I'll pass them on to the young-ins

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2021, 02:00:53 pm »
Good example. I was thinking more in line of a man on the ladder thinking in lines of your last example. Man on a 20 foot ladder. I have also posted a video of JP and Emerald doing a similar job as your picture here, using the RoBo vac along with a pool hose. They had great results and success.  I cant remember if they had a man on the ground or not. I posted that video in the other section where this topic spun off from. 2Sox Topic: (Trap out gone sour: Suggestions?) post 39. They had no problems with your vac, even using the pool hose. Actually they said all went great if I remember correctly.

Which in my opinion is a great complement to you and your vac.
JP was using a man lift.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 02:13:15 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2021, 03:37:45 pm »
I have also posted a video of JP and Emerald doing a similar job as your picture here, using the RoBo vac along with a pool hose. They had great results and success. They had no problems with your vac, even using the pool hose. Actually they said all went great if I remember correctly.

JP was using a man lift.

JP use to be a regular here before he became a facebook star :cool: and was one of the first I sent a protoype of my bee vac too.   In fairness I believe he also collaborated with the colorado bee vac and had good things to say about it.   JP is not a typical bee remover and is not fond of using bee vacs,  he prefers a more traditional method (at least that was back a while ago before I lost touch with him).

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2021, 03:47:43 pm »
I have also posted a video of JP and Emerald doing a similar job as your picture here, using the RoBo vac along with a pool hose. They had great results and success. They had no problems with your vac, even using the pool hose. Actually they said all went great if I remember correctly.

JP was using a man lift.

JP use to be a regular here before he became a facebook star :cool: and was one of the first I sent a protoype of my bee vac too.   In fairness I believe he also collaborated with the colorado bee vac and had good things to say about it.   JP is not a typical bee remover and is not fond of using bee vacs,  he prefers a more traditional method (at least that was back a while ago before I lost touch with him).

Haa haa he is not typical for sure. Nor is his good friend Schawee! They seem like swell folks. Like folks I grew up with. I mean it in a very good way... I wish they would start posting here again lol. Or at least a visit Once in a while.

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2021, 03:53:40 pm »
  The issues you write about have come up occasionally for me, but I?m able to address them pretty fast because I NEVER do cutouts on a ladder and I never do them alone.  I mean never.  In my opinion and in my experience - and I mean no insult to anyone who does - it is extremely unwise to work alone - AND dangerous.
You are much more disciplined than most beekeepers then, kudos.  I know many NWCOs that would starve if they tried sticking to this.  I guess it all comes down to the area of the country and client base.

The other reason I can avoid many of the issues you describe - and I mentioned this before - is that I never use a hose longer that 8-10 feet. From my experience, long hoses are a disaster and kill bees. This is a rule that has no exceptions for me.

Most of my guys use a 20ft as standard.   Some do not hesitate adding up to another 20ft if needed with minimal increase of dead bees.   The added stress of a few more feet ride down the hose is much less than hours being quarantined in a strange cage and then being dumped out later.

Thanks, Robo. I am very fortunate. I?m a retired teacher with a pension.  I don?t need to do cutouts for the income. I do them for the fun. And the challenge. So how an NWCO would approach these jobs, and how I approach them are very different. And I can understand that completely.

I recently had a conversation with the husband and wife co-owners of a NWCO in Westchester County (bordering The Bronx of NYC - for those unfamiliar with the geography) about how we could mutually benefit each other.  One day, I was invited to join his crew of FIVE on a cutout. (Why he had five men on his team for this is a mystery to me). When I arrived, I told him that neither I or nor my assistant would go up 20-25 feet on that ladder to reach the soffit with the bees. There was no fall protection for anyone - no safety mechanism.  My assistant and I started to go back to my vehicle, but my assistant Nowel said he?d rather do it and make some money than go home. There were two ladders with a man on each and the extra guys were spotters.  I was on the ground cutting and mounting comb and placing them into boxes.

The cutout was done and needless to say it took much longer than necessary, was messier than necessary and killed more bees than necessary. Lowering brood comb and honey comb in a bucket up and down a ladder is sloppy, shoddy work in my opinion. I?ve seen it on YouTube and when I do, I cringe.  They were using an Owens by the way.

That would have been a scaffolding or boom lift job if I had taken it on.

Regarding client base.
 I agree with you. Most of my jobs come from pest management company referrals. (Some from listings on the bee forums and other sites.) One is the largest in Westchester County, NY I have been subcontracting for, for many years. Their client base is mostly all millionaires; probably a few billionaires. They will wait to get the job done. They will pay extra for scaffolding and/or boom lifts. I?ve seen that money isn?t really a big issue with most of them. It?s a plus that the company recommends me and my references are good.

Regarding bucket vacs:
I want to make clear that the Owens is ALWAYS a last resort for me.  I also want to make clear that I have had bees remain in cages overnight, sprayed them with sugar water before putting them to bed, and the next day they were just fine. My theory is that the few dead on the cage bottom were weakened or died during the vacuuming - not from being left in the cage. If it?s a swarm, they are gently released (not dumped) the next day into an empty super on top of a super (or two, or three) with frames of honey and pollen with a dash of lemongrass oil on the top bars. If its a cutout, the same but the cut brood combs are beneath them. No problems yet.

Regarding long hoses:
Anecdotal reports of 'a minimum increase in dead bees' in long hoses is a relative expression/term. ANY dead bees inside a hose is TOO many dead bees for me. And frankly, I think most guys who use these extended length hoses don?t realize how many die inside their hoses (or won?t admit it). I have been there. I know. I was absolutely astonished when I first realized the mortality inside those long hoses. The losses were unacceptable. Moderate length hoses for me produce NO dead bees inside a hose.  In my view, NO is substantially better than ?A MINIMUM?.

The reasons I never work on a ladder are many:
Its exhausting
Its dangerous.
Its sloppy.
It takes forever.

If cutouts every stop being fun for me, that?s the day I stop doing them.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 04:32:13 pm by 2Sox »

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2021, 04:35:07 pm »
>Anecdotal reports of 'a minimum increase in dead bees' in long hoses is a relative expression/term. ANY dead bees inside a hose is TOO many dead bees for me. And frankly, I think most guys who use these extended length hoses don?t realize how many die inside their hoses (or won?t admit it).

Well 2Sox, I don't know Anecdotal. lol. I can only report or speak of what I do know from my own personal experience.  What I have reported has been accurate in my own personal experience, using a long hose (30') and my own personal home built beevac combo. Since I am not a bee vac salesman (regardless of , what my font says lol), and have no dog in the hunt except sharing my own personal experiences, in an attempt helping us, help each other better understand bee vacs. I have no reason to misguide or mislead you with my shared experiences of my successful vac/hose combination. I would not intentionally do so. My vac and hose combination may be unique? I do not know because I have never used any other or even seen any other in person, only what I have seen on videos. Shweu wee, I hope that helps.  :cheesy: :grin:
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 04:56:39 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2021, 05:13:54 pm »

Robo described very real scenarios that can be completely avoided in my view - and in my experience have never had to address.
All I can say is we are not all experts.  Many new beekeepers try cutouts for the first time.  The more forgiving the equipment is the better especially when it doesn't add cost to the system.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2021, 05:27:33 pm »
no more cut-outs 3 stories up cutting through 3 stacked  - 2x12  to get to the bees because the property owner doesn't want to inconvenience the tenants by going through the ceiling  :shocked:
The property owner is a blooming idiot.  The structure is there for a reason.  You could have a catastrophe removing structure and you are liable no matter what the customer wants.  Taking structure out is easy.  Putting it back to where it will handle the same load is not so easy.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2021, 05:39:16 pm »
That is probably the reason I have never done one.  I have seen videos and for the life of me I can't find anything fun about them.  All I have seen is a hot sticky mess with ticked off stinging insect.  How can you cut through honey and comb without making a mess?  I am not overly fond of the extraction process when you collect honey.  That is a sticky mess too but I love the honey.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2021, 06:02:04 pm »
That is probably the reason I have never done one.  I have seen videos and for the life of me I can't find anything fun about them.  All I have seen is a hot sticky mess with ticked off stinging insect.  How can you cut through honey and comb without making a mess?  I am not overly fond of the extraction process when you collect honey.  That is a sticky mess too but I love the honey.

I definitely hear you. As I get older, I tell myself every year, that THIS is the last one. It is getting to that point. Let the youngsters take over.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2021, 08:35:19 am »
This is just a suggestion:  Assuming Jim has another beefest those that own these bee vacs could bring them for a show and tell.  We can talk face to face about the differences, maybe even do some testing.  Play with some bucket designs.  Jim might even have a sacrificial hive that we could suck up some bees.  LOL
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2021, 09:40:58 am »
Yes using the 30 foot hose test on each! If I have to go through all that trouble to convince you, I may indeed be forced to proceed into the beevac business. Therefore you and 2Sox have to promise to be my first two customers of buying my vac paying for my trip! lol 😂  :wink:

PS do not worry Jim, your bees are in good hands with my.vac. 😊 Adding the hotter the day the better I will like the competition!

anything