Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Shopping Around for a Venilated Suit  (Read 3961 times)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Shopping Around for a Venilated Suit
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2021, 07:29:16 am »
Pazuzu,
Welcome to Beemaster.
 Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2021, 10:07:46 pm »
Just wanted to follow up on my suit for anyone who might be shopping in the future.  I used my new suit from Lappe's for the first time this week, and overall I'm happy with it.  I was much cooler in the yard and I didn't find it to be too heavy for me.  The sizing is a little odd though; the website is adamant about purchasing a size or two larger than your normal clothing size, so I ordered a large and it's definitely a bit too big for me.  I thought about exchanging it for a medium, but upon comparing the sizes with their size chart, the medium is barely smaller than the large, and I'm too tall for the small, so I elected to just keep the large.  The first day I wore it I got stung on the knee because the kneepads don't line up right on me, so I'm now belting it at the waist which makes it fit much better.  The mesh fabric is pretty catchy on things like fences and rough edges on telescoping tops, so I have to remember to keep a mind on that because I am a little worried about tearing it.     
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2021, 10:39:28 pm »
I am happy for you member that you got that full suit you have been wanting!  But a little surprised that a sting got through to you, even in the knee area. Maybe a fluke one time thing.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2021, 11:52:32 pm »
I am happy for you member that you got that full suit you have been wanting!  But a little surprised that a sting got through to you, even in the knee area. Maybe a fluke one time thing.
Yeah, it happened when I was bending down, so my skin was tight up against the mesh, so I'm assuming that's why she was able to get through it.  She got me deep too, and of course it swelled up like crazy like they all do for me, but better on the leg than on the hand.  Hopefully with the knee pad positioned properly with the help of the belt it won't be an issue in the future.     
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2021, 11:30:04 am »
This is a good topic. I've been thinking of getting a full suit. Right now I just have the Mannlake (cheapest) jacket(s).

By my notes, on April 15th, I got into a mean hive. Had stingers over every square inch of my jeans and jacket. Went inside, changed cloths and jackets. Went back out to finish the job. The bees clouded me - stinging instantly. This was from a swarm that moved into an empty box in February. I'm guessing they had a high percentage of Africanized genetics.

Would be nice to have a full suit for situations like that. I usually work in shorts - but I already knew this hive was mean.

Get rid of the colony and then take a look at

https://guardianbeeapparel.com/#
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2021, 11:35:46 am »
I'm looking to get a ventilated suit for my birthday.  I've been doing a little bit of shopping around already, but I wanted to get your opinions on what's a good one for the price.  Everyone always recommends Ultra Breeze, but they are quite pricey.  What makes them better than another brand?  What kinds of things should I look for in a ventilated suit, and what should I avoid?       

https://guardianbeeapparel.com/#

They make a great suit. I like the fact that both of their interchangeable veil styles open with a zipper so you can hydrate without removing the entire veil. That?s what sold me on it.  Absolutely essential if you spend any extended time in the yard or on cutouts.

The only drawback is the zippers that attach the veils.  All zippers are YKK metal and VERY good but the most confusing design I have ever encountered on the veil. It literally took me ten minutes to try to figure out how to get the veil back onto the suit. Instructional video needed badly!

Just found one on YouTube. Not from the company, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MidXDTKvWyg
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 02:09:59 pm by 2Sox »
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism