Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Come to the light...?  (Read 1473 times)

Offline Playapixie

• New Bee
  • Caretaker of the Sweet Jaimies and the Shura Bees!
    • Playapixie
Come to the light...?
« on: June 08, 2015, 03:09:48 pm »
Uh oh...

So last night was a hot night in Seattle, and around 10:15 PM (just after it got dark) I noticed three bees had flown into my bedroom though my open balcony doors and were buzzing around the light.

Being a rookie, I thought "not that I mind your company, girls, but what are you doing flying after dark?" and rescued them to outside, then shut all the doors and windows.  After that I noticed at least one more bouncing gently against the window trying to get in.  Thinking back there was another warm night a few weeks ago where I rescued another bee out of my bedroom, too.  I didn't think too much of it.  Mosquitoes and flies head for the lights, so it didn't seem surprising that bees might too; though the idea of stinging insects coming in at night was mildly worrisome.  No one mentioned that part of backyard beekeeping to me before.

I randomly posted something about the nocturnal visitors, and another beekeeper friend this morning replied that maybe my bees had the zombie parasite.

Seriously?  Just when I thought I was starting to know some things about bees, ZOMBIES? 

The same friend asked if maybe they were drones; maybe they had been ejected from the hive.  I honestly didn't even think to notice if they were drones when I caught them last night. 

So...zombies?  Drones?  Or is coming in the house just after dark to be expected?

I have not noticed any dead bees in my yard anywhere.  I do have a lot of birds, though, so possibly they get eaten.  I have also not noticed any erratic flight behavior (and I watch the bees a lot.)

These bees were installed as packages, two hives, in late April.  They came from California.

After reading online to day about zombies, I guess I should catch them next time and wait and see if they produce fly larvae?  Ugh...

And if they are indeed zombies, what next?

Dawn Bustanoby
Seattle, WA
http://www.playapixie.org
"Let the beauty we love be what we do."  ~Rumi

Offline KeyLargoBees

• Field Bee
    • Pirate Hat Apiary
Re: Come to the light...?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 03:28:22 pm »
Robert Kirkman was in Seattle at a convention....and the bees turned?

Seriously though.....here is a link on the Zombie Bee thing

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/zombie-bees-found-northeast/story?id=22290433

Jeff Wingate

Changes in Latitudes...Changes in Attitudes....are Florida Keys bees more laid back than the rest of the country...only time will tell!!!
piratehatapiary@gmail.com https://www.facebook.com/piratehatapiary

Offline westhill

• New Bee
Re: Come to the light...?
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 04:42:46 pm »
Google "Zombeewatch" for info on finding out if your bees are zombies.
I had a handful of light-seekers every night so I tested mine. Nope, not zombies. More likely foragers who came home at dusk and got confused by my house lights. Good luck, I hope your bees are not zombees either.