Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Brood issues  (Read 1144 times)

Offline chux

• House Bee
Brood issues
« on: June 02, 2015, 11:21:47 am »
I have a colony that was a cutout last year. In the fall they looked really healthy. I did treat for mites last year. Looking at them now, I see a very spotty brood pattern. Mixed in with capped brood, there is sach brood and chalk brood. I also see some deformed wing virus. The population is down. I believe they either swarmed or just superceded, and the new queen is getting ready to start laying. Just wondering if I should let the new girl have a shot. If not, what are the best options? If this new queen fails to start laying for some reason, what would you suggest?

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Brood issues
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 10:22:54 pm »
One thing to consider is the population. Is there enough and will they live long enough to see things through until the next generation takes over.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Brood issues
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 10:45:31 pm »
Chux,
Since the new queen is starting to lay, I would give her a chance. If the bees had several q cells to select from I think they tend to select a queen with the genetics to handle the the problems they are dealing with. If this was not the case, they would not have survived for the last 200 million  years. Not all hives are able to do this but enough of them have been able to to survive.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin