Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Quickest way to rotate frames out of the brood nest?  (Read 1757 times)

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
Quickest way to rotate frames out of the brood nest?
« on: June 03, 2015, 09:41:15 pm »
I bought 2 nucs last Thursday. They came with plastic frames. What is the quickest way to rotate them out of the brood nest with foundation less frames? I put empty frames between the plastic and they are starting to build comb but the queens have not laid in them. I did find both queens when I looked today.
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
Re: Quickest way to rotate frames out of the brood nest?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 10:44:38 pm »
There is not many quick ways in beekeeping. Let the hive grow till they get large enough to put the frames in the honey chamber then harvest the honey. Pack them away for emergency use later.  d2

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 06:39:52 am »
Keep moving the frames on the outer most positions. The queen may continue to lay in them but there is a good chance she won't.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 10:19:20 am »
Keep moving the frames on the outer most positions. The queen may continue to lay in them but there is a good chance she won't.
Jim

What Jim says..   Each time you inspect, rotate the frame you want GONE toward an outer wall. By the time it gets there it should be getting close to being emptied.   Once it is, it can be removed, and a new frame installed to either edge of the brood nest.  IN the brood nest if it is Foundation-less.
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline JConnolly

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 08:27:38 pm »
Unless the plastic frames are in bad shape I'd keep using them.  They are already drawn, no sense in wasting good comb that the bees are using.

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 09:57:48 pm »
Unless the plastic frames are in bad shape I'd keep using them.  They are already drawn, no sense in wasting good comb that the bees are using.
That is part of the problem. They are not completely drawn. They are building out the foundationless like crazy while leaving space of undrawn plastic. I saw a thing on queen rearing that recommended black plastic frames to make it easier to see when grafting. That seems reasonable but I am not having problems seeing eggs and larvae. I am also not grafting anyway.
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin