Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Barb Wire Fence  (Read 9714 times)

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: Barb Wire Fence
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2016, 08:20:32 am »
Cows are already in the pasture. This is just an expansion. Fruit trees, strawberries, and late flowrering shrubs for the bees
Except for the strawberries, does the rest have to be protected from the cows?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2016, 08:38:10 am »
yes . for your fruit and for the cows. they can kill the cows if it gets stuck in their airways. had to help freiend with a cow that got apple stuck inits airway. they get into a eating frenzy with sweet stuff and will just suck them down.

john

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2016, 08:34:27 am »
...plus, the cows are subject to scratch/rub against them long enough to destroy the young trees.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2016, 09:05:41 am »
BW, how big a field are you planning on fencing off?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2016, 12:11:08 pm »
yes . for your fruit and for the cows. they can kill the cows if it gets stuck in their airways. had to help freiend with a cow that got apple stuck inits airway. they get into a eating frenzy with sweet stuff and will just suck them down.

john
Also the cows sometimes eat way too much. My wife gave our first cow a wheel barrow full of pears off the ground from under my neighbors pear tree. By the evening she was down and it took a day before she got up. If she was down much more than that, she would have died.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2016, 01:15:03 pm »
probably bloat. You're right if they lay there too long then their digestive systems shuts down, then they shut off.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2016, 03:26:46 pm »
I am hoping to take up another acre if not more. I think I am also goinig to do some raised sweet potato beds

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2016, 03:27:33 pm »
If my 13 month old holds up I hope to take him to Petals from the Past this Sunday after church and do some checking out of my planned expansion.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2016, 08:13:45 am »
1 to 5 on Sundays.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2016, 09:56:37 am »
Thanks. About his favorite thing to do is stroll outside and the weather is supposed to be nice. He will cry often when and if I walk him by a door and we do not go outside.

Offline 220

• House Bee
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2016, 11:21:13 pm »
A good rule of thumb for fencing is installation will cost the same as materials.
I have done a bit of contract fencing in my time but now days are mile or so a year around the farm is about it.
Good strainer/stay assemblies are essential for a good fence, put them in first and then run and strain your top barb. Use the strained top barb as the guide for your intermediate posts and your fences will always be straight.
Have around 600y to do sometime in the next few months might do a post on Aussie fencing if anyone is interested.

Offline olehunter

• New Bee
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2016, 07:14:09 pm »
dad and i used the truck to stretch the wire .stay in the cab in case you go too far and break the wire. you should hear it sing when its tight. if the wire is on the cow side they will probably not rub it . :beemaster: :smile:
to stand silent and be considered a fool or to speak and remove all doubt

Offline olehunter

• New Bee
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2017, 10:27:21 am »
havent built any fence in years but when i used to help my dad we would put in the posts and braces and then stretch the wire with the big truck . works great but stay clear in case the wire breaks. barb wire that is. :smile: :smile:
to stand silent and be considered a fool or to speak and remove all doubt

Offline 220

• House Bee
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2017, 02:03:31 am »
Did a little bit the past few days, here's a pic of a corner strainer assembly with the top barb strained ready to use as a guide for the intermediate posts. Fairly short runs at 200y and 160y either way off this post.
Once the fence is complete I will come back and take a bit of the top of the post, 3'6" in the ground and about 6" out at present.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2017, 09:56:45 am »
Did a little bit the past few days, here's a pic of a corner strainer assembly with the top barb strained ready to use as a guide for the intermediate posts. Fairly short runs at 200y and 160y either way off this post.
Once the fence is complete I will come back and take a bit of the top of the post, 3'6" in the ground and about 6" out at present.

Looks good. I finally got someone to install the fence for me. Perhaps when fixing the barb wire I will learn how to do a whole fence.

anything