Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Today I Made  (Read 37139 times)

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
Re: Today I Made
« Reply #260 on: June 09, 2024, 07:21:25 pm »
If the idea works, plastic queen excluders may have some practical use. They are easy to cut and are also inexpensive. I can buy them for about $5 each which is about a quarter of the price of steel ones.

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #261 on: June 09, 2024, 07:31:13 pm »
My hives came with plastic QEs, how do you know that the bees don't like them?

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #262 on: June 09, 2024, 08:16:17 pm »
In general, bees don?t like plastic and tend to stay away from it unless there are forcing issues such as a good honey flow. Once the bees decide to pass through, the issue is reduced. The open area in a plastic queen excluder is also less than what you would find in a metal excluder. Flat plastic queen excluders are easy to scrape clean but the bee access holes take a bit more work. Metal excluders can be steamed or boiled in water and then quickly dropped on a hard surface to remove the wax build up. Some plastic excluders work better than others. The ones used in the queen cages don?t work overly well. That?s why I cut them up.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #263 on: June 09, 2024, 08:54:20 pm »
I have very limited experience with queen excluders, but I will say, in addition to what Les said, the bees in the box where I have excluders set up are visibly irritated and seem to be avoiding going through the excluders unless they have too.  I have removed a trapping setup on a hive and more than once had the bees kind of rush in or out of the area, since they were trying to avoid crossing the barrier of the QX. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #264 on: June 09, 2024, 09:03:37 pm »
Interesting and thanks. Tomorrow is hive inspection day and last week I installed a plastic QE and put my medium brood box above it to get it cleaned out. I'll look for behavioral changes.

Offline Bill Murray

• Field Bee
« Reply #265 on: June 10, 2024, 06:57:48 pm »
They are easy to cut and are also inexpensive. I can buy them for about $5 each which is about a quarter of the price of steel ones.

I agree the cost of the metal excluders was what kept me from trying to manufacture what you just did. I was waiting for one to wear out. I thought about that and said My granddaughter would have to make it. Low and behold maybe a reason for the plastics.

Thanks les.
Bill

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #266 on: June 10, 2024, 11:33:43 pm »
For the purpose of your intention, I am wondering why not simply use the old time wood queen cages or the plastic type, the types used when banking queens or in shipping queens?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2024, 01:30:25 am by Ben Framed »
Matthew 10:16
Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #267 on: June 11, 2024, 02:49:05 am »
Hi Phillip,

I like the idea of allowing nurse bees to actually enter the cage next to the queen rather than just touching her through the screen. The thinking is that the queens pheromones would?ve spread more effectively through the hive and reduce chances of swarm cells being built. Both of these methods also allow access to the queen from both sides of the frame.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #268 on: June 11, 2024, 07:31:24 am »
If the attendants can't get to the queen you will eventually have a wax moth larvae in with the queen and she won't do anything about it.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin