Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Gorilla Glue Problem  (Read 6578 times)

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
    • Deep Creek Apiaries and the Hive Shop
Gorilla Glue Problem
« on: February 24, 2020, 10:09:39 pm »
Thought I'd try some polyurethane glue for a bait hive today.

Not sure I like it.  It foams out onto surfaces that I want to stain.  The hive will sit in the yard of a friend with a known bee tree nearby; so, I want it to look nice for their sake.

How do you get rid of that foaming glue residue?
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Gorilla Glue Problem
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 06:20:25 am »
Father,
The trick to dealing with this is to let the glue dry enough that it isn?t a liquid any more but not fully hardened. At this point you can easily scrape it off. I use a box blade laid flat against the wood to cut it cleanly off, usually I cut from both sides. Then I turn the blade up vertically and scrape it sideways to remove the remaining glue.
Once it has hardened, you can cut it but it is a lot harder to do.
Good luck.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 08:08:07 am »
Father,
The trick to dealing with this is to let the glue dry enough that it isn?t a liquid any more but not fully hardened. At this point you can easily scrape it off. I use a box blade laid flat against the wood to cut it cleanly off, usually I cut from both sides. Then I turn the blade up vertically and scrape it sideways to remove the remaining glue.
Once it has hardened, you can cut it but it is a lot harder to do.
Good luck.
Jim Altmiller

Thanks, Jim!
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 12:46:42 pm »
The other thing about it is to buy small bottles or at least no more than you think you will use quickly.  It tends to harden in the bottle.  To delay that, squeeze all the air out before you cap it. 

I love the stuff, but it has its negatives!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 01:19:54 pm »
The other thing about it is to buy small bottles or at least no more than you think you will use quickly.  It tends to harden in the bottle.  To delay that, squeeze all the air out before you cap it. 

I love the stuff, but it has its negatives!

Thanks, Katy.

Had to clean it up with a Dremel before staining.

Now to get it off my hands!

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 03:39:18 pm »
Michael. I was correcting some mistakes on my first hive I built last night, and I used Titebond III. I always do. It seems to me that there would be fewer chemicals introduced into the hive than with Gorilla Glue. Why use Gorilla? Is it that much better at joining strength and water repellancy? I have both.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2020, 03:46:45 pm »
Why use Gorilla? Is it that much better at joining strength and water repellancy?

I use it because it does expand and fill cracks.  I have an awful problem with yellowjackets here and they will get through any little crack.  + I just like to watch it work.   :grin:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2020, 04:13:16 pm »
Michael. I was correcting some mistakes on my first hive I built last night, and I used Titebond III. I always do. It seems to me that there would be fewer chemicals introduced into the hive than with Gorilla Glue. Why use Gorilla? Is it that much better at joining strength and water repellancy? I have both.

I like to use cedar and the expanding quality of the polyurethane glue attracted me.  I've never used it before.

The way it sticks to my hands makes me think it's pretty good ...

If I learn how to use it.

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2020, 10:27:02 pm »
I have never seen a head to head test of waterproof or resistant glues, but this I know 1. wood ain't perfect therefore cracks, 2. I ain't perfect, regardless of what my wife says, so there are imperfect cuts therefore cracks and on and on.  Gorilla glue fills cracks better, fact, it is messy, fact, and on and on.  Titebond or Gorilla does the job much better than the glues I first used in woodworking attempts in the forties.  So I use Gorilla for some joints and Titebond on most of my glue joints.  Price may be a consideration but It is not necessary to choose one or the other, there is a niche where one is better than the other one.

Offline Dustymunky

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2020, 12:17:17 am »
Im pretty OCD but if the crack isnt perfectly filled the bees will propolize it. Better than glue!

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2020, 11:27:26 pm »
I have only used titebond. There is or was a product sold at Home Depot that was supposed to be similar to Advantech, which boasted that gorilla glue was their claim to fame.  lol 
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2020, 08:18:26 am »
I checked last week. Our Home Depot could order Advantech boards 4x8 sheets and I could pick up locally. $33 a sheet with a "resin" binding it together.

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2020, 08:48:14 pm »
Used Titebond III today to build a slotted rack for Mary's hive.

Think I've found a winner!

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2020, 10:04:58 pm »
Brother Michael, I am glad that you are happy with titebond. I have developed a practice that may be of interest to you as well. When I build my boxes I use titebond as a calk. What I do is glue the edges before nailing together. Then after assembling the boxes together, I take it a step further by dabbing titebond on the edges of the exposed cut edges of the boxes and joints, using titebond in the place of calk, letting it completely dry, then paint these ends.
Phillip Hall

« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 02:13:18 am by Ben Framed »
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2020, 07:11:05 am »
I have only used titebond. There is or was a product sold at Home Depot that was supposed to be similar to Advantech, which boasted that gorilla glue was their claim to fame.  lol 

I checked last week. Our Home Depot could order Advantech boards 4x8 sheets and I could pick up locally. $33 a sheet with a "resin" binding it together.

Bob you are fortunate that your Home Depot sells Advantech. The last time that I checked, my local Home Depot does not. Which is a pity because Home Depot is close to me. They do however sell a competitor of Advantech called Legacy which boast a similar warranty also boasting the use of Gorilla Glue as the bonding agent. The last Advantech that I purchased was from Lowes. 33 per sheet.

Legacy-LP-23-32-in...
Legacy LP 23/32 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. T&G OSB Panel-41499 - The Home Depot
Oriented Strand Board - OSB. ... For the Toughest Sub-Flooring jobs on the planet LP Legacy sub-flooring uses Gorilla Glue Technology for one of the industry's strongest, stiffest sub-floors. ... The resins used to make LP Legacy sub-flooring bond wood strands at the molecular level

Phillip Hall

« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 08:20:19 am by Ben Framed »

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2020, 03:23:18 pm »
Brother Michael, I am glad that you are happy with titebond. I have developed a practice that may be of interest to you as well. When I build my boxes I use titebond as a calk. What I do is glue the edges before nailing together. Then after assembling the boxes together, I take it a step further by dabbing titebond on the edges of the exposed cut edges of the boxes and joints, using titebond in the place of calk, letting it completely dry, then paint these ends.
Phillip Hall

Sounds like a good strategy, Phillip.

Have two more hives to build and will use that method.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2020, 10:47:02 pm »

"Sounds like a good strategy, Phillip.Have two more hives to build and will use that method."

I am glad to share. I believe this will help our wood-ware last longer. 
Phillip Hall

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2020, 10:53:22 pm »
An update to reply 14 referring to Legacy Gorilla Glue board sold at Home Depot. I have said before last season that I intend to purchase a few sheets of this and use it as a comparison to the Advantech.  That time of purchase will be soon as I have only one sheet of Advantech left.  🙂 

LP 23/32 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. T&G OSB Panel
4.6 out of 5
(26) Write a Review
Questions & Answers (14)
Super-tough moisture-resistant premium sub-flooring
Stiffest and one of the strongest
Covered until its covered no-sand warranty $30.98

This board has a picture of the gorilla painted of the board along with the words, Gorilla Glue Technology. I " hope" it is good stuff lol.

Phillip Hall

« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 05:51:59 am by Ben Framed »

Offline crmauch

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2020, 04:39:17 pm »
I still like Titebond II.  But almost everything I build is for outdoor. So most of my construction is screwed, glued and painted.

I really don't like gorilla glue.  I've used it on some projects (non-wood) and besides the  foaming issue, I've had it hold great and then later suddenly let go, no warning. It
Chris

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2020, 09:10:23 am »
I will throw my thoughts into the ring:
For perfect joints that are clamped where the glue is squeezed to almost nothing polyurethane glue is the strongest.  But for those that like the gap filling foam the joint is the weakest, almost to the point where no value at all except for caulking.  I would not use polyurethane glue for beekeeping equipment unless your joints are perfect and you clamp everything.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it