Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Spartan Mosquito Eradicator  (Read 9327 times)

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
Spartan Mosquito Eradicator
« on: June 17, 2018, 09:40:10 pm »
Does anyone have info or experience with this product so that they can say whether it is harmful to bees?  A neighbor has bought two and says they are effective against mosquitoes, but doesn't really have much understanding of how they work. 
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline moebees

• House Bee
Re: Spartan Mosquito Eradicator
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 10:29:49 pm »
How about a link or something?
Bee-keeping is like raising Martians  - Isabella Rosselini

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 10:35:54 pm »
I know nothing about it, but here's a link.

https://spartanmosquito.com/
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline moebees

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 10:48:20 pm »
Thanks for the link. 

It says it emits the same chemicals that attract mosquitoes to humans and animals.  That would be CO2.  Not harmful to bees and not attractive to bees.  It says it kills mosquitoes when they feed on it.  Why they would feed on this solution I have no idea and presumably if it kills them it contains some kind of pesticide.  It doesn't sound likely that bees will be attracted to it.  If they are I suppose it could be a problem.  Can you ask the neighbor to keep an eye on it to see if bees visit it? 

My opinion reading the website it sounds like a scam and not likely to bother bees.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 12:37:19 pm »
The website does not seem to be forthcoming about what it is that KILLS the mosquitoes.  That would be the relevant issue.  If it is something specific to mosquitoes (like a bacteria etc.) then maybe it won't hurt the bees.  If it's something chemical that kills insects in general, then I suspect it would kill bees...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 12:49:56 am »
I don't know whether this guy knows what he's talking about, but he writes that the product contains salt, sugar and yeast.  Which of those will kill mosquitoes?
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 08:23:59 am »
I don't know whether this guy knows what he's talking about, but he writes that the product contains salt, sugar and yeast.  Which of those will kill mosquitoes?
The yeast might consume the larvae but if there is a pond near by the method is hopeless. 
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 10:43:27 am »
Ace,
Not sure what you are saying about the ponds. Most ponds do not support mosquito breeding. The reason is minnows love the larvae. The more mosquito larvae, the more minnows you get. Also tadpoles survive off the larvae.
Here in Florida, the mosquito control folks will add minnows to ponds that have dried up to eliminate the mosquitos.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 10:50:08 am »
Maybe I should have said stagnant pools that dry up and then fill again with rain.  Old tires are famous for breeding mosquitoes.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2018, 10:55:16 am »
Yes, I agree with that.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline moebees

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2018, 12:02:43 pm »

The sugar and yeast produce the CO2 to attract the mosquitoes.  The only thing that would kill the mosquitoes would be salt in high enough concentration.  However the website makes it sound like it kills the adult mosquito and I would think any salt concentration high enough to do that would a) kill the yeast b) be unpalatable to the mosquitoes.  There may be another ingredient not mentioned.

As I said previously, I think it is probably a scam.  The yeast will consume the sugar and stop producing CO2 and then it will no longer attract mosquitoes.  How it supposedly kills is still a mystery. 

We do now know that it could potentially attract bees since it contains sugar. 

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2018, 06:29:24 pm »
Does anyone have info or experience with this product so that they can say whether it is harmful to bees?  A neighbor has bought two and says they are effective against mosquitoes, but doesn't really have much understanding of how they work.

I saw one in the store today. Inside bottle label ingredients:
Active ingredient: 11.48 sodium chloride

Inert
Sucrose 88.34
Yeast.    .18
John 3:16

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2018, 07:06:27 pm »

I saw one in the store today. Inside bottle label ingredients:
Active ingredient: 11.48 sodium chloride

Inert
Sucrose 88.34
Yeast.    .18
Sounds pretty safe to me, salt, sugar and yeast.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
  • Still Proud. Retired, Michigan State Police
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2018, 10:39:58 pm »
I have a similar one, kinda expensive that uses a propane tank and an attractant. Says it's safe for Bee's and butterflies. It uses CO2 and when the mosquitos gets close, it sucks them up. Had it for a month and its in the shop under warranty
Check out my Blog!:

http://beekeeper.flexmedia.tv/

Retired State Trooper. Part time Beekeeper. If you ever see me run, Run!

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2018, 12:43:50 pm »
I have a similar one, kinda expensive that uses a propane tank and an attractant. Says it's safe for Bee's and butterflies. It uses CO2 and when the mosquitos gets close, it sucks them up. Had it for a month and its in the shop under warranty

Yeah, I paid about $500 for a Mosquito Magnet when they first came out.  It was totally worthless and I returned it after one season.  Home Depot was generous enough to let me return it for store credit way after the normal return period had ended.  I went through a couple of propane tanks and only caught a few mosquitos in the bag, but was still getting mosquito bites al over my yard.  Hope they have improved and you have better luck with yours than I had with mine.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2018, 02:03:01 pm »
I bought one about 11 years ago for around my farm house. It would use a tank of propane a month. It would collect a few mosquitos in the trap but I think there were a whole lot more that would fall threw the holes when they dried out and got crispy. I had very few mosquitos/bites when it was on constantly for a week or more.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2018, 02:11:17 pm »
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
  • Still Proud. Retired, Michigan State Police
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2018, 01:25:56 am »

Yeah, I paid about $500 for a Mosquito Magnet when they first came out.  It was totally worthless and I returned it after one season.

I?ll let you know when mine comes back from the shop. Smh.
Check out my Blog!:

http://beekeeper.flexmedia.tv/

Retired State Trooper. Part time Beekeeper. If you ever see me run, Run!

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2018, 06:50:20 pm »
The mosquito zapper with the blue LED light also work at night.  It attracts the
adult to kill them.   Here is how I handle the standing pool of water with mosquito larvae in it.  I buy the
cheapest high nitrogen fertilizer in the store.   Then mix it with some tap water to dissolve the fertilizer and
dump the whole mixture into the standing pool of water.   Under the hot sun soon a heavy layer of green algae would
form on the surface.   So thick that the mosquito adult cannot lay and the larvae cannot go through the surface to emerge.
It will only work under the full sun with this method. 

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2018, 08:12:24 pm »
I go fishing with my brother in law and his son.  They are mosquito magnets with three citronella candles burning between them.  That is enough protection for me to sit around a campfire naked.  So sorry for their luck.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it