Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What's flowering: Victoria  (Read 63061 times)

Offline Honeycomb king

• House Bee
Re: What's flowering: Victoria
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2016, 06:48:15 am »
Yeah.when you work it out let me know too.

Offline Flycaster

• House Bee
« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2016, 07:02:50 am »

Offline Flycaster

• House Bee
« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2016, 07:05:06 am »

Offline Flycaster

• House Bee
« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2016, 07:06:02 am »
Oooh it worked apparently. .... twice....

Offline Lancej

• House Bee
« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2016, 07:20:36 am »
Looks like next season will have plenty of flowers.

Offline Lancej

• House Bee
« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2016, 07:33:55 am »
I take it that it's Messmate?

Offline Flycaster

• House Bee
« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2016, 07:35:23 am »
I think so 😊

Offline Lancej

• House Bee
« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2016, 09:58:03 am »
Explaining things, too be honest even trying to write things down is not one of my good points, so here we go.
Open your picture in microsoft paint, if you want to crop your photo, make sure you have the tab home selected, under the tab "view" is select, click on the box just above select, go to your photo and highlight what part of the photo you want then click on crop. Weather or not you crop your photo you then click on resize (under crop) type in say 10 then OK then save, check the size of the file, if under 200k you can then post.

Offline Flycaster

• House Bee
« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2016, 04:48:52 pm »
Thanks. I'd hoped I'd git the pictures attached above. They appear in my screen. Can you guys not see them?

Offline Honeycomb king

• House Bee
« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2016, 06:44:12 pm »
Yes, and I got Lance, s instructions and I still can't do it. I'll ask my 14 year old.
Good photo too.nice looking messmate.

Offline Flycaster

• House Bee
« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2016, 08:17:41 pm »
There are a couple of flowers... but the rest are next years flowers?

Offline Honeycomb king

• House Bee
« Reply #71 on: March 17, 2016, 02:07:23 am »
The excitement of seeing the buds then a few flowers sends me into a frenzy.it's only on closer inspection that I figure it out. The best thing is to follow the buds from their micro-bud stage through.only today I was inspecting sites with red stringy bark trees, as I approached I could see one tree in full flower and the glistening of  buds on the rest of the forest. No luck, but plenty of prospects for next January/February. In this perfect world I hope it will start flowering as the red gum finishes.

Offline Honeycomb king

• House Bee
« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2016, 07:57:35 pm »
Big wet through out victoria today. That will wash a few flowers out. Writing this post just to blow my own trumpet, I wrote on this thread ( 14th December).
That we would get rain to start a wet autumn on the third week of March.  As long as we get good back up rain in 10 to 12 days I'm on the money but of to a good start.

Offline Honeycomb king

• House Bee
« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2016, 08:06:21 pm »
West of Grampian: red stringy is well into its flowering yet still plenty to go. Yellow gum right through from Ballarat through to the border   area has started flowering, and is doing the same further north according to other beeks, although some bud drop up north was of concern.  Bees working both even though there had been 14 mm of rain and was still drizzling. Both banksia marginata and ornata are flowering. Very surprised to see the desert banksia flowering already.
  All in all I was very pleased with the floral prospects down that way and will be moving 100 hives down that way Sunday night.
  With early flowering of the desert banksia (meaning starting early, finishing early) and hopefully the early autumn break we may get onto canola early. That is 2 to 4 weeks before almonds. But now I'm really forecasting a lot!
Any how on the season goes and it may not give us much of a break for the winter either.
Bee good.

Offline Lancej

• House Bee
« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2016, 08:53:31 am »
By the way HCK, when the cherry laurel is in flower l will test it on the rellos first. Hate to waste honey!

Offline Honeycomb king

• House Bee
« Reply #75 on: March 20, 2016, 09:05:48 am »
Ah! The bitter taste of mother in law honey. Or be really cruel and give them some beetle juice.

Offline Lancej

• House Bee
« Reply #76 on: March 20, 2016, 09:14:24 am »
HCK, I see your not moving hives tonight!

Offline Honeycomb king

• House Bee
« Reply #77 on: March 20, 2016, 10:46:02 pm »
Yeah. Loaded up Sunday night then went home for 4 hours sleep. Left home at 4.30 am Just finished unloading.(midday) Having a lunch break and then have to do 20 splits as 20 queens turned up in Fridays mail.  A bit late in the season, but strong hives that have just moved to good conditions. If this autumn break is on then my confidence is high for an early spring.
Will possibly swag it tonight as it's a 6 hour drive home, but will see how the splits and fire wood collection go.
Good new growth down here too on the tea tree and other shrub varieties which all goes good for a good flowering in spring.

Offline Lancej

• House Bee
« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2016, 06:09:47 am »
Well your making me feel better, good to see others missing out on sleep, I'm on 24/7 call and get up all hours.(or just don't get to bed).
Can you ID this tree, photos taken by phone, so leaves are a bit far away.

Offline Honeycomb king

• House Bee
« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2016, 07:12:52 am »
Could be yellow box, eucalyptus melliodora. Close up of the buds will help to i d it .where is it? The trunk sort of looks like it and they have started budding very well right throughout victoria.hopefully it won't flower too early.any earlier than about October and the weather is too cold to get the nectar to flow. I'm hoping for November (between red box and red gum).can't really tell until after winter, a cold winter will slow the bud development, a warm winter and the buds will continue to grow and then flower too soon.
But get another photo and I'll confirm.
Yes camping out tonight, will leave here at about 2.00 am so as to be on the ring road before traffic is too crazy.
Well worth the trip, red stringy and the yellow gum are going great. Bees are starting on the banksia too.