Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: what is everyone seeing?  (Read 23579 times)

Offline biggraham610

• Field Bee
Re: what is everyone seeing?
« Reply #100 on: February 28, 2015, 11:52:09 am »
Big G, I just noticed something funny, all summer, you chop wood, all winter you smile and wink.  What's up with that?   :grin:

Burnings alot easier than chopping. No, the woodchoppers gone with this new format, and I sure do miss him. G
"The Bees are the Beekeepers"

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #101 on: February 28, 2015, 04:48:31 pm »
Just cut and split almost a lifetime of firewood for living in Florida. Have almost 3/4 of a cord stacked by the shop after my neighbor gave me a pile of oak after clearing out some property. Firewood in Florida is like having flopflops in the Artic, you don't use it much.
  Got all the equipment needed for Monday's bee day, hope the splits work out. Been raining all day so made a new solar wax melter using a second hand stainless steel sink and a old deep super. Just need to hit it with some paint

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
« Reply #102 on: February 28, 2015, 06:13:59 pm »
What am I seeing? I'm seeing a box on the front porch from Suzie in LA!!!  Woot!

I put that bad boy on and my twins think I look like the robot in Big Hero 6.  :tongue:

Got the hives, got the suit.... just need some bees...  :happy:

Offline hjon71

• Queen Bee
« Reply #103 on: March 01, 2015, 11:11:08 am »
52? Here yesterday a few bees flying. A sharp knock on the box tells me they are still alive :grin:
Those girls are survivors. WTG ladies.
Quite difficult matters can be explained even to a slow-witted man, if only he has not already adopted a wrong opinion about them; but the simplest things cannot be made clear even to a very intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he already knows, and knows indubitably, the truth of the matter under consideration. -Leo Tolstoy

Offline richter1978

• House Bee
« Reply #104 on: March 01, 2015, 01:13:23 pm »
I seem to find a way to burn plenty of firewood, but its a bit colder this way.

Offline richter1978

• House Bee
« Reply #105 on: March 01, 2015, 01:14:02 pm »
Hadn't noticed the loss of the wood chopper, dang it.

Offline minz

• House Bee
« Reply #106 on: March 01, 2015, 01:51:31 pm »
We are easy 30 growing degree days ahead of the curve, with high 50?s and no rain in the forecast for the week. My log has most blooms at 21 days ahead. It is supposed to be 45 and rain but the bees are working the working the pond for water. I am glad I tried pollen sub this year but do not know if full hives on the first day of March is due to weather or pollen. I refused to cut the grass in February but I don?t think I can delay it any more.
Poor decisions make the best stories.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #107 on: March 03, 2015, 08:06:32 pm »
 :grin:I'm happy....I think.  It warmed today and I saw bees flying from both hives, but more freezing rain, fog, drizzle, sleet and snow and COLD in our forecast, but at least they made ithrough the last week of cold, sleet, snow, etc.  I couldn't bring myself to open the tops at 50 degrees to check the sugar supply.  Things will get bad after noon tomorrow.  Should I open it or not?
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline Colobee

• House Bee
« Reply #108 on: March 03, 2015, 08:58:03 pm »
We had 16 days of above average temps in the month of February. 12 days of snow made it the snowiest (Denver) on record. A few brief warm days left more telltale signs of life as the living scattered the snow with bee corpses out front of all the hives.

'Hoping the warmup, forecast to begin Thursday, will melt away the 6-8" of snow still remaining from the two feet we've gotten in the past week and a half. It'll also have to work on the additional ~3-7" we're expecting tonight.

I'll have the feeder jars ready - planning to do some splits in another month or two. Spring isn't too far off around here... :wink:

The bees usually fix my mistakes

Offline texanbelchers

• House Bee
    • Mark Belcher
« Reply #109 on: March 03, 2015, 09:11:37 pm »
Crazy Texas weather!  70+ today and tomorrow, then lows in the 30s again.  :(. It should be a steady warmup thru the month.  Splits around the 15th?

At least they got a couple of good flying days.  Lots of pollen coming in.  I moved them into a new long hive this weekend and they appear to be stable.  Lots of brood and capped drones; new wax and no queen cells

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #110 on: March 03, 2015, 09:40:23 pm »
It finally got above 50 degrees for the first time in at least 3 weeks, but to rainy to pop the lids on my hives.  Unfortunately we're predicted to get 6-8 inches of snow tomorrow.   I'm getting a little antsy to play with my bees.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #111 on: March 03, 2015, 11:24:04 pm »
I opened up one 3 medium hive and it was full of bees and capped queen cells. I made 3 hives from one. Each had swarm cells. Never did see the old queen. Even though the cells were capped, it did not look like it swarmed. I also split a 3 medium nuc that was real strong into 2 hives and added a frame with swarm cells from the other hive. I found the queen and moved her to the new location. She has 7 frames of bees, honey, pollen and brood and 3 drawn frames. The other one has 8 frames plus one frame from the other hive with the Queen cells.
My biggest concern is that the swarm cells are on the lower portion of the frames and if it gets too cool, the bees may not keep them warm during the cold snaps at night.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #112 on: March 04, 2015, 10:32:42 am »
Yesterday here in Mt Juliet temp was in the sixties and the bees were working the pollen substitute cause very little real pollen available. But today it is raining and going to snow tonight and high tomorrow  25.

Offline Colobee

• House Bee
« Reply #113 on: March 04, 2015, 06:22:31 pm »
Winter Storm "Thor" is getting set to pull off to the east.  Looks like it's going to slam you guys out there.  It only left about 1" of snow here rather than the 3-7' they were calling for. Highs in the teens, today.

Forecast is a week of warming, with 60's next week, and the first above freezing nights in quite some time.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #114 on: March 04, 2015, 09:05:05 pm »
sterling, you guys have been taking a beating up there.

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #115 on: March 04, 2015, 10:17:31 pm »
sterling, you guys have been taking a beating up there.

yea we haven't  got work in three weeks. The bees have been able to fly a day here and there but nothing out there to work but fake pollen I put out. Supposed to be better next week.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #116 on: March 04, 2015, 10:24:59 pm »
yeah, it's brought my apartment project to a stand still.
henbit and aster (i think that's what it is) are blooming and in town the first of the yellow pollen is starting to cover cars.  a lot more geese flying north and clover is getting taller. 
if we just hold on a couple more weeks i think we'll be through with the worst of it down this way.

Offline biggraham610

• Field Bee
« Reply #117 on: March 05, 2015, 12:45:04 am »
One more shot I guess............. supposed to get 6-8 inches tonight, 2 more nights in the teens, then............according to everything I see, smooth sailing, no colder than mid 30s at night and 45-65 for the foreseeable future. Thank Goodness. Im sick of this. The bees were working hard mortuary duties the other day when it was warm. Saw a few Pupa with the older dead removals, expect they got chilled and removed. Haven t been back to the 3 small clusters, but I am assuming if they made it thru that last brutal stretch, which they did, they will be waiting to see me. Fingers crossed. G
"The Bees are the Beekeepers"

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
« Reply #118 on: March 05, 2015, 08:45:14 am »
Hang in there, brother!

Offline Colobee

• House Bee
« Reply #119 on: March 05, 2015, 10:56:14 am »
Hang in there, indeed! It's a beautiful blue sky morning here. Thor's hammer has departed. 'Not supposed to get very warm - maybe low 40's - but I suspect some of the girls may venture out this afternoon if it stays calm.

March Madness began today at Mann Lake. Some pretty good deals if anyone is looking. Today through Sunday, while supplies last. I put a small dent in them.