Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Beefest 2018  (Read 50567 times)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Beefest 2018 for all BeeMaster members.
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2017, 12:45:24 pm »
SC,
Yes, this invite is to all BeeMaster members and I will probably have a few local area beekeepers.
I can probably get a few people to speak on Saturday if that would be good. I thought we would do a few hands on splits. I may be able to set up a removal but I'm not sure we will have that much time. I'm looking for ideas.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
Re: Beefest 2018
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2017, 01:17:00 pm »
It is mostly about just meeting each other.... things grew after bud 1. But yes they usually had a removal which was just something to do I guess. Usually lead by JP and I think Shawee's or Yappy. The bees in buds area are real swarmy and we were there in April the height of the season. He ran swarm traps like fishing a trot line so there were always plenty swarms and one year they cut a swarm out of a swarm trap. Bud did not put frames in swarm traps. And there was usually some grafting.. and some hive entries just to say we did. The first year we made a night entry with red lights to I guess prove the bees did not react to red light vs white light (Buckley led that)
And did I say we ATE and ATE and ATE some more.

Me personally but not necessarily a hands on... I would like to hear some lip balm recipes... creamed honey (maybe cinnamon and pecan) and hear about trapping pollen and preparation of pollen for sale to the public. Maybe someone that will be in attendance have these items in their repertoire.

Oh on the hands on area, I am all thumbs... I know nothing of wood cutting simple joints and simple nuc building etc. I know that is your expertise. I would love to learn a simple joint and how to cut it without a dado blade. Learning a simple method to do this on a cheap table saw or with a circular saw would make the whole 5hr drive (I re goggled just 5hrs) worth my while along with meeting folks. I also would like to return to SC with all my fingers and thumbs :wink:

So there are a few ideas just to throw around and I will certainly bring my ultralight if I come...
John 3:16

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2017, 02:06:57 pm »
I can't say for sure that the wife and I will be there, but I can say for sure that we'll try. She works a crazy schedule at 911 and it's also night shift. But if the stars align we'll be there for sure. We used to hunt in Madison Florida for hogs, how far are you from there? That's just south of Valdosta Ga. The ride isn't to bad at all. SC I appreciate the invite for a ride, if you have room for a duffle bag or 2 and a fishing rod maybe we'll take you up on it and split gas cost or something. I'm close to Hartwell Ga. Lots of SC folks know where that is.
Take a kid fishing !

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2017, 02:46:19 pm »
I'm close to Hartwell Ga. Lots of SC folks know where that is.

Absolutely Gods country on the SC side.... not much on the Ga side  :wink: Need I say more :shocked: :wink:

Offline texanbelchers

• House Bee
    • Mark Belcher
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2017, 02:50:48 pm »
...I am all thumbs... return to SC with all my fingers and thumbs

I'm confused, but I'm also an Aggie...  :)

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2017, 03:25:06 pm »
SC
Not trying to take the thread off too far but which ultralite do you fly?
Cheers
gww

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2017, 03:49:29 pm »
I thought he was talking about an ultralight rod and reel. I won't be riding to Florida with him in an ultra light aircraft. Y'all don't let SC fool ya. He told me in a private message that he's a big Georgia bulldogs fan.
Take a kid fishing !

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2017, 05:43:07 pm »
Y'all don't let SC fool ya. He told me in a private message that he's a big Georgia bulldogs fan.

:tongue:

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2017, 05:51:00 pm »
SC
Not trying to take the thread off too far but which ultralite do you fly?
Cheers
gww

I have flown both quatum's and Shimano's both with Lightning Sticks  :tongue: FN I used to fly them a lot in the Chatooga around Wallhala or on the East fork. Then I got lazy and started flying on the reservation. Been wanting to go to Moccasin... but actually spinners or live.... no flying  :wink:

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2017, 06:11:33 pm »
I don't mind words having more then one meaning.  If we had words that only had one meaning there would just be more words out there that I would not be able to spell. :oops:
Cheers
gww

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2017, 06:14:15 pm »
Is an ultra-light rod a special fishing pole made to fish ultra light planes out of the air?

It's going to be a long ride til March, Jim.    :angry:   :cheesy:
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2017, 06:19:11 pm »
...I am all thumbs... return to SC with all my fingers and thumbs

I'm confused, but I'm also an Aggie...  :)

I believe sawduster is a wood working pro and I am all fingers "fingers and thumbs with woodwork" In other words no skills and I would like to return home with them all  :shocked:

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2017, 06:38:56 pm »
Iddee
Is an ultra-light rod a special fishing pole made to fish ultra light planes out of the air?

Wow, That would have worked great in world war 1.  Do you have personal experiance of if they had them back then?  Old man :wink:

Wrote with respect.
gww

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2017, 09:09:39 pm »
Naw, Me, Orrville,and Wilbur were already retired by then....
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline texanbelchers

• House Bee
    • Mark Belcher
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2017, 09:58:01 pm »
SC, I understand you position.   I was commenting that you were going with thumbs and returning with fingers..

But, as sidetracked as this thread is, Saw may need to start another thread for Beefest.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2017, 12:11:05 am »
SC, I understand you position.   I was commenting that you were going with thumbs and returning with fingers..

But, as sidetracked as this thread is, Saw may need to start another thread for Beefest.

:cheesy:

Start a new thread....maybe just a positively plan to attend thread but...keep this one going so you will know when you get there the samrt a's you are dealing with....

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2017, 12:35:23 am »
It is mostly about just meeting each other.... things grew after bud 1. But yes they usually had a removal which was just something to do I guess. Usually lead by JP and I think Shawee's or Yappy. The bees in buds area are real swarmy and we were there in April the height of the season. He ran swarm traps like fishing a trot line so there were always plenty swarms and one year they cut a swarm out of a swarm trap. Bud did not put frames in swarm traps. And there was usually some grafting.. and some hive entries just to say we did. The first year we made a night entry with red lights to I guess prove the bees did not react to red light vs white light (Buckley led that)
And did I say we ATE and ATE and ATE some more.

Me personally but not necessarily a hands on... I would like to hear some lip balm recipes... creamed honey (maybe cinnamon and pecan) and hear about trapping pollen and preparation of pollen for sale to the public. Maybe someone that will be in attendance have these items in their repertoire.

Oh on the hands on area, I am all thumbs... I know nothing of wood cutting simple joints and simple nuc building etc. I know that is your expertise. I would love to learn a simple joint and how to cut it without a dado blade. Learning a simple method to do this on a cheap table saw or with a circular saw would make the whole 5hr drive (I re goggled just 5hrs) worth my while along with meeting folks. I also would like to return to SC with all my fingers and thumbs :wink:

So there are a few ideas just to throw around and I will certainly bring my ultralight if I come...
SC,
Thanks for the ideas. I bought my wife a lip balm kit. Maybe by then we will be able to do a demo.
We also make candles but we just used up the last of our wax for an upcoming farm swap.
By Ultralite it take it you are referring to a camper. At first I was thinking you meant a
Small air craft.
I have cleared an area on the farm that will one day be a runway for an Ultralite.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2017, 12:42:50 am »

Start a new thread....maybe just a positively plan to attend thread but...keep this one going so you will know when you get there the samrt a's you are dealing with....

:cheesy:
Ben Franklin

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2017, 01:58:16 am »

By Ultralite it take it you are referring to a camper. At first I was thinking you meant a
Small air craft.
I have cleared an area on the farm that will one day be a runway for an Ultralite.
Jim

You guys are killing me.... the ultralight is for the pond  :shocked: :wink:

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2017, 08:09:05 am »
Jim, I think you should start building an out house for the poop slingers.  I think it is going to get pretty deep around the camp fire.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it