Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Oil Pans & Pollen Traps  (Read 1030 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Oil Pans & Pollen Traps
« on: March 20, 2024, 01:33:58 pm »
Will the use a pollen trap as well as an oil pan trap (for SHB control) in the same hive be effective for both? I realize a top entrance pollen trap would have to be the choice? That considered, would the oil pan in the bottom of the hive still be effective for SHB since the beetles would now be entering at the top instead of the bottom where the pans are located, or does it make a difference?  🤷🏻‍♂️
Has anyone here tried this?

Thanks,
Phillip

« Last Edit: March 20, 2024, 07:20:33 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
Re: Oil Pans & Pollen Traps
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2024, 01:13:07 am »
I don't think that entrance location will make that much of a difference in the effectiveness of an oil pan for SHB.  I have been using small pans near the back of the hive and the bees still get the beetles chased into them.

I can't offer any advice on pollen traps since I haven't used any yet.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2024, 06:05:53 am »
I don't do the beetle trap thing.  I do trap pollen.  Changing the entrance location when adding a pollen trap won't work as the bees have to work too hard to get through the trap and they will give up if it's in the wrong location.  First convert them to a top entrance.  Then when everyone is using the top entrance, you can add the trap.  I don't see why a pollen trap would interfere with the effectiveness of a beetle trap.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2024, 08:37:19 am »
I don't think that entrance location will make that much of a difference in the effectiveness of an oil pan for SHB.  I have been using small pans near the back of the hive and the bees still get the beetles chased into them.

I can't offer any advice on pollen traps since I haven't used any yet.

Thanks cao.

Thanks also Michale
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

anything