Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 8 frame medium brood boxes  (Read 6106 times)

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
Re: 8 frame medium brood boxes
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2020, 03:30:53 pm »
 is it mann lake frames that you are using as well

yes, everything is Mann Lake. Thanks Phillip it's a family name.  I'm curious though about the comb built like it is in the picture snispel posted.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2020, 10:39:40 pm »
>I'm curious though about the comb built like it is in the picture snispel posted.

There was enough room for that run of comb, so the bees made use of it. They may do the same in your boxes if one side or the other is left gaped. In my opinion, you would be better off evenly distributing your 8 frames. The bees will make thicker comb and store more honey in each frame. If it is brood you desire, you might need to follow Michael Bushes or Pauses' instructions.
If you jam the 8 frames Together they may build bur comb on each inside of your box as well. Sorry to have to tell you this. I realize you bought to use as an 8 Framed situation. I am surprised that a company as reputable as Mann lake selling this as such.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 11:51:18 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2020, 08:44:14 am »
For communication's sake, I remind everyone that you can change your name on the profile page/modify profile/account settings. I started with the cryptic name bobll, for Bob long langstroth. But people called me Bob, Bobii, or ll. Then I saw Michael Bush using his own name. Simply change your profile name to what you want to be called. I get confused with all these beemaster names, and then signing our posts with other names.  :wink:

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2020, 10:35:23 am »
For communication's sake, I remind everyone that you can change your name on the profile page/modify profile/account settings. I started with the cryptic name bobll, for Bob long langstroth. But people called me Bob, Bobii, or ll. Then I saw Michael Bush using his own name. Simply change your profile name to what you want to be called. I get confused with all these beemaster names, and then signing our posts with other names.  :wink:

I have noticed more folks start off with a Beemaster name. Eventually they may feel more comfortable with the forum, and With new acquaintances found here. This leading to using their real name at the bottom just to let their new friends know who they are. I like it when a newer member shows the comfortable confidence of transition and warmth shown, by signing their own personal name from time to time, or always as Jim does. To me it is demonstrating the newer member feels at home at Beemaster, a warm sense of belonging. Personally I like it when this honor is bestowed by a newer member to the rest of us.

Ben Framed     :wink:
Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2020, 12:05:19 pm »
I agree, Phillip. Joining a group of strangers and online security measures often lead to using secure aliases. It is good when people can feel comfortable enough to share a name.
It just helps with communication if people stick with a single posted name. When I first started, and sometimes even now, i lose track of who is responding to which comment, because there are multiple names being used. I am trying to grasp beekeeping concepts, and then I have to stop and hunt back through the thread to figure out who a person is, what question someone is answering. I found it a bit frustrating at first.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2020, 12:47:53 pm »
It is not security I am referring to Bob, it is warmth. May I suggest, to avoid your confusion, that you simply look at the (beemaster) name where each response is posted on top and ignore the personal signature at the bottom. I do not see how you can become confused by this method. Some here, post a picture to go along with that Beemastee name. This should but all but eliminate your confusion. I am simply pointing out there may be other points of view than your own, over signature. I do not think anyone here is trying to confuse you or distract from your learning by signing their personal name from time to time. Like you, we are trying to grasp beekeeping concepts, not debate signature.  lol.   I hope that helps.

Phillip Hall
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 01:00:33 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2020, 11:24:21 pm »
Thanks for your suggestions Phillip. Certainly I am glad to be a part of this great forum. I am learning many valuable beekeeping lessons, from many wonderful beeks.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2020, 11:41:42 pm »
Thanks for your suggestions Phillip. Certainly I am glad to be a part of this great forum. I am learning many valuable beekeeping lessons, from many wonderful beeks.

You are welcome Bob. I am glad you are here. You come up with some good ideas and suggestions along with some good questions and answers, I might add. As do many others here. We are blessed!

Offline snispel

• New Bee
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2020, 01:29:23 am »
Thanks for the input, Seeb. :)

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2020, 07:11:33 pm »
you are most welcome

Offline Absinthe

• New Bee
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2020, 08:37:25 am »
I did some calculations on this because... well because I care about things a little more than some and am intrigued by the answers I get.

The 8 frame langstroth box is not a Langstroth invention, but rather a later modification to the existing standard 10 frame box. The original, if I am not mistaken was based off of a peach box or some other readily available shipping container of the time (reduce, reuse, recycle!). That being said, I believe the early calculations suggested one size width for frames in the brood nest and a different one (wider) in the honey supers. The 1 3/8" current size is a compromise between the two of them.

There are some calculations that involve average length of a chrysalis, the thorax size of a bee, and so forth that suggest the optimal distance between frames on center, and I believe that is where Michael Bush gets his 32 mm (1 1/4") from. Though I do wonder, since I know that he goes more towards using "small cell" or actually "natural cell" sizing he would have smaller bees. I am not sure this would affect that 32 mm number if one were still using industrial sized cells.

In addition, as I mentioned earlier, the 8 Frame modification was one of the mfgs (can't come up with it now) and the internal size left more room after the number of frames were added up than the 10 by a whole 1/4". So when you add together 10 frames at 1 3/8 then add exactly 1" you get the interior width of a 10 frame box. If you do the same with an 8 you have to add 1 1/4. Granted you need some space, otherwise you would never get the frames out without rolling a bunch of bees. But, why the difference? I wish I could remember who told me this, but the reason given was to accommodate an internal frame feeder without having to remove more than one frame.

Perhaps that is true, or perhaps apocryphal.... but you now know what I know :) 

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2020, 08:46:26 pm »
 I know this is a month or so old but I am surprised no one popped up and said this is an old debate on here. ML always (for years anyway) made their * frame boxes 14" wide while the others are 13 3/4" .
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda