Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Purpose of Government  (Read 3726 times)

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
Purpose of Government
« on: January 27, 2015, 03:49:36 pm »
What is the purpose of government? I think that the preamble is pretty good at defining the purpose of government but I think I have a better way of saying it.

"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

That is all fine and good but I think it could be easier said simply as:

The purpose of of government is to protect the individual citizens civil liberties.

What are your thoughts?
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Purpose of Government
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 03:53:23 pm »
sure, but they were given to flowery statements sometimes.   :wink:

besides, by listing those few things, there should have been no doubt that the purpose of government was limited.  as we have seen, a term like civil liberties...or as an example "civil rights" can come to mean whatever future generations decide it means. 

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
Re: Purpose of Government
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 08:42:37 pm »
I suppose...  Especially considering what the general welfare has become...
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

anything