Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Can you avoid waxmoths by freezing your supers?  (Read 7143 times)

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
Can you avoid waxmoths by freezing your supers?
« on: July 16, 2009, 10:43:01 am »
To avoid using ANY harsh chemicals, could I wrap my super in cellophane, freeze it for two days, and then store it wrapped?  Since this is what is advised for killing eggs in comb honey, I thought it might work.

I am small time, so I could freeze a few, then store and so on....until they are all stored for the year. 

Any thoughts?
"Fear not the night.  Fear that which walks the night.  I am that which walks the night, BUT only EVIL need fear me..."-Lt. Col. David Grossman

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Re: Can you avoid waxmoths by freezing your supers?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 11:06:17 pm »
well I don't use chemical to store mine either, what has worked for me is large garbage bags, I put the super in a big bad then freeze just to keep from getting anything in my freezer, then after 15-20 hours I take it out and put that bagged super into another bag (two bags now) then I put a top cover upside down on the floor where I am storing it and after I stack them head high I put another top cover over them. works fine for me.....
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 12:33:18 am »
well, good point TwT.  I did not think about putting the covers on top and bottom.  I guess they would not have to stay in the bags.  -Thanks!
"Fear not the night.  Fear that which walks the night.  I am that which walks the night, BUT only EVIL need fear me..."-Lt. Col. David Grossman

Offline applebwoi

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 01:48:35 am »
Freezing will work fine, especially if you don't have lots to deal with.  Are you opposed to using BT to control the wax moths?

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 08:39:57 am »
Freezing is a lot of unneeded work. I find Bt to be the easiest.  If you really only have a few,  keeping them exposed to light will keep the wax moth away.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 09:29:35 am »
To be painfully honest, I am not sure what Bt is.  :? I was just trying to think of a way to avoid any chemicals.  Maybe there isn't a way, but thought I would try.  I only have 10-15 hives (doing combos this week).  I thought that freezing them might be a fairly simple way to prevent damage.  :-D

What is Bt? 

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 09:46:56 am »
What is Bt? 

Bacillus thuringiensis is a bacteria that kills the wax moth larvae, but is harmless to bees or you.  Spray it once and your good to go, no need to treat every year. 

You can get it premixed under the name B401 or Certan from BeeWorks -> http://www.beeworks.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=18

Or much cheaper in dry form and mix it yourself ->  http://www.hidhut.com/catalog/xentari-bt-p-31.html

SOme have also been able to get Xentari from their local garden supply.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 10:14:46 am »
Ahhhhhhhh yes, I do remember reading about that now.  Thank you!

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 01:00:50 pm »
The folks at HID Hut are good to deal with. One bag will teat lots of frames. Our club bought a bag and shared.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 11:32:05 am »
I live where it freezes hard in the winter and the wax moths don't get bad until about July.  I pull the supers and harvest, put them back on for the bees to guard and pull them back off after a hard freeze has eliminated the wax moths.  Then I stack them until the next year and put them back on for supers before the wax moths take off (about the first part of June I'll have them back on).

Yes freezing will kill wax moths.  But it does take a good hard freeze, like a chest freezer with sub zero temps.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 01:04:37 am »
Would it be possible to have wax moths without my seeing them? Could there be eggs in the comb anyway?

I have topbars, so the only comb in the hive is that which is constantly covered by bees. Would that prevent an infestation?

Thanks from someone who just harvested a few bars of comb honey and is now picturing maggots hatching out in it  :-P
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline lakeman

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2009, 08:58:20 am »
If BT is harmless to everything but wax moth larvae, could you spray it into your hive, or does it also kill bee larvae?
I am my own biggest critic!

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 09:01:57 am »
Would it be possible to have wax moths without my seeing them? Could there be eggs in the comb anyway?
Absolutely
I have topbars, so the only comb in the hive is that which is constantly covered by bees. Would that prevent an infestation?
A strong hive will prevent the larvae from destroying the comb.   Occasionally,  even on strong hives you'll find a cocoon from a larvae that kept out of reach from the bees (bored into the wood, or stayed in a crack/crevice)

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2009, 09:04:13 am »
If BT is harmless to everything but wax moth larvae, could you spray it into your hive, or does it also kill bee larvae?

I have never done it, both others claim spraying it on active frames without harm.

I usually wait to spray just before storing it.  If the bees are on it,  they will handle any wax moth issues.

anything