Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: OT keeping butterflys  (Read 1628 times)

Offline rober

• Field Bee
OT keeping butterflys
« on: February 21, 2014, 12:25:05 pm »
some of y'all have seen the photos of my praying mantis hatches. I also buy & release lady bugs, lacewings, & assassin bugs in my vegetable patch. last fall I found a pair of boldly striped caterpillars munching on my parsley. I threw them in a large jar with some parsley stems to show the grandkids. 2 days later they pupated. well one just emerged. I've done this before but they always emerged during warm weather.it's too cold to release this guy outside. has anyone ever kept a butterfly? since I interfered with their natural life cycle I'd like to let this critter live out it's life. I have a lot of plants in the house & I'm thinking about just releasing it in the plants. i'll do some searches online to see what they eat.

Offline flyboy

• House Bee
Re: OT keeping butterflys
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 12:53:58 pm »
Wow! Your grandkids are lucky.
Cheers
Al
First packages - 2 queens and bees May 17 2014 - doing well

Offline Carol

• House Bee
    • critters and crawlers visiting or living in my back yard
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 03:27:54 pm »
I raise Monarch Butterflies...just to release them. I like watching them shed their skins and pupate then emerge....some videos on my blog  www.wildlifearoundus.blogspot.com    I think you can just type in the "search" box and bring them up. I usually let them go withing 24 hrs.

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 03:55:44 pm »
temps in the 20's predicted so releasing outside is not an option. I checked with the st Louis zoo bug house. they advised orange slices & Gatorade. the butterfly is currently hanging out on my collection of succulent plants. after looking at photos on websites this appears to be an eastern swallowtail. it only lives for around 2 weeks so I'm trying to keep it alive long enough for the grandkids to see. I put the other pupa in the fridge to delay it's emerging. i'll take it out when it warms up for good.

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 07:46:56 pm »
You folks down south have all the fun!  Monarchs seldom if ever get to this high dry area.  Lots and lots of wild milk weed.  Any legal way to get eggs or caterpillars? 

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 10:33:55 am »
Vance, we have been knowing that.  We usually will make room for a Yank or two though.  My next door neighbor is from Michigan.

Joe

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 12:54:49 pm »
But Joe!  You also have chiggers and fireants and it so hot I can't breathe!  It is 2 above this morning and we can chat as I shovel my walks!  Come on up.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 12:41:21 am »
Aww you just think it's hot.  Get a "hot hive" and then put on a full suit and work em that's hot.   The weather changes regular here, you run the heat one day and air the next this the year.  I have no hankering for the snow.  Good luck to you though.

Joe