Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: value of Mac 64  (Read 3798 times)

Offline ayyon2157

• House Bee
value of Mac 64
« on: May 05, 2010, 01:32:38 pm »
Hello everybody:

I know a person offering to sell what she refers to as a "Mac 64" for almost nothing, on the assumption that it is too old to have value.

How old could such a thing be, and what would a fair estimate of value be?  I know nothing about Macs, but have pretty much had it with Ms.  I can only get "dial up"here, and my uses are responding to forums and lots of "Word" stuff. (I would probably use it for "Word" and still keep my Ms boxes.)

Here, computers over a certain age begin to have a negative value as the junk men charge to take them.  As it looks like I might get into a bidding war, I need an opinion as to value.

Please don't ask me what model it is, I just want "worst case scenario" for a Mac which will run "64"

I recently looked at a very impressive looking Mac (Apple, whatever) made in 2000-2002 for $50 at a garage sale, but none of us could get it to do anything resembling "booting" so I concluded it wouldn't work.  ( I found out later that booting a Mac is not a simple matter)

Thanks  ayyon2157   
William H. Michaels

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: value of Mac 64
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 07:49:56 pm »
I'm not sure what the Mac 64 is unless it is a 64 bit system. Whoever said a Mac is more difficult to boot never used one.
Most times there is a button you press on the keyboard.You press it and it boots up.the macintosh was the first to really use the mouse and a graphical user interface which made many say it was a "toy". Windows was Microsofts answer to Apples GUI( graphical user interface". this turned out to be much easier to use than a dos command system.I always loved my macs.
The one thing I would watch for is a built in modem or NIC if you have a broadband connection. Old apples had kind of a unique modem you won't come across easily.
Modern macs such as Imacs and such come with built in modems and some with airport wireless to connect to a home wireless network.
Try to get a model and we can tll you more about it.

Offline ayyon2157

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 02:12:36 pm »
Thanks for the reply buzzbee! The lady was very busy at a garage sale and wrote so sloppy that she probably meant g4.  The machine was supposedly professionally used until she quit to raise a family.  (the kid clothes I saw weren't very big)  Now she is trying to get back into whatever field "logo design" would fall under and plans to buy a new Apple (Mac, whatever they call them nowdays).

I will try to get the model number later if she hasn't sold it.  (She is supposedly designing me a logo on an hourly basis--may turn out to be a bargain and may not be--  I know roughly what I want but can't draw it)

On the other hand, I may have another try at LINUX. (LINUX seemed promising but I could never seem to get sound.  SLACKWARE had sold me disks and a book, but soon it quit working seemingly running into an endless loop)

ayyon2157
William H. Michaels

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 09:25:03 pm »
Most of the Macs process more data per clock cycle than typical pc units. Standard graphics are also better most of the time which is one thing that makes Mac more pricey from new.Unless you are doing something very processoer intensive,i would give this mac a try if you can get it for next to nothing. Look on ebay and see what comparables are bringing. They also usually have 25 to 50 dollars shipping.
It sounds like the previous owner is heavy into graphics which may make it obsolete for her,but it well may work just fine for most applications.
What would your primary use be?

Offline podius

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 11:33:50 pm »
some macs are collector items fetching sometimes in the thousands to ten thousands. I still kick myself for not getting a pile of rare macs that a newspaper was tossing out.
John VT
Spooner, WI(Northwest WI-up in the nose)
equipment---All medium 10 frame boxes, top entrance's, no foundation frames and mann lake pf 120's (7 hives)

Offline ayyon2157

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 09:03:11 pm »
Hello again buzzbee:

I guess my primary use would fall into the category of "desktop publishing" on a one or very few at a time basis.  I would like to write words. with sometimes pictures scanned on a cheap "all in one" printer scanner,transfer them to disk,  print them and/or e-mail them.

Ms "Word 97" is supposed to do all these things, but I can't seem to get it to do what I want twice in a row. I can seldom get it to print to cd, and it loses things.  The Kodak ESP-3 seems very erratic about doing what I ask it to. (for instance my copy of "word" will unexpectedly go into italics with no apparrent cure short of turning it off and starting over.  Sometimes it will refuse to reset margins and often absolutely refuses to react to a request to change script size or style.) I realize that I am mixing word processor and printer problems, but don't expect to get rid of all of them, but as many as possible.

thanks ayyon

I had hoped that  "Mac" would be a little more predictable, and kinder on my blood pressure.
William H. Michaels

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 01:48:44 am »
One program that should work well on either platform would be Open Office. this is a free office program with open source. It is able to open and format word,power point etc.
It is available here:
http://www.openoffice.org/