Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cut out question: How do you get that queen?!  (Read 3854 times)

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
Cut out question: How do you get that queen?!
« on: April 30, 2012, 10:34:51 pm »
To All,

I recently watched JP's removal of this colony - a real nice job!

The title on You Tube was: JP And Monkey Man Remove Bees In Kenner, Louisiana - Medium.m4v

I've done a few cut outs and I've always had a hard time catching the queen. On most, I wasn't even sure I had collected her with the rest of the colony until I got home and waited a few days.  No eggs, no queen.  That was my technique. It's very exciting and I'm learning as I'm going but I could use all the help I can get.  So, JP, I'd really like to know how you do it.  In this video, JP leaves a small section of comb attached, to apparently lure the queen out of the corner.  What is the science behind this?  Why would this piece of comb possibly lure out the queen to go to it?

How do you folks get that queen?
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Offline jaseemtp

• House Bee
Re: Cut out question: How do you get that queen?!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 10:52:30 pm »
2sox im in the same boat as you.  It just goes to blind luck for me if I get her or not.  I feel im pretty good at spotting the queen but on cut outs there is so much noise and commotion I assume she runs for cover.  I check them after a few days and look for eggs or queen cells to let me know whats going on.  JP sure does make it look easy.
"It's better to die upon your feet than to live upon your knees!" Zapata

Offline ME Girl

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 11:12:14 pm »
I would think that he uses his experience at removals to his advantage.  He figures out where the broodnest is and starts (if possible) the removal from the farthest point that the brood is and removes comb until it get down to the point she is probably moving away from the activity and light to hide.  By then its harder for her to hide or she just shows herself and without all the traffic (Beevac) he finds her easy.  Plus he is just dang good.

Life is too short not to stop and watch the bees.

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 12:05:25 am »
The only time I have found the queen is if she was on the floor away from the hive or after letting them rest while I take a break from the cutout and let them settle. they normally will ball with her.

john

PS going slow and steady with the job helps to.  planning the placement of the cutout frames and checking each section as you go. But it mostly comes with lots and lots of practice.

Offline TwoHoneys

• House Bee
    • TwoHoneys
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 10:50:16 pm »
I feel im pretty good at spotting the queen but on cut outs there is so much noise and commotion I assume she runs for cover.  I check them after a few days and look for eggs or queen cells to let me know whats going on.  JP sure does make it look easy.

I'm with you, jaseemtp...JP also makes these removals look clean...I get honey running all over my hat, down my arms, in my clothes. Oh, it's ugly. Sometimes I look for the queen, but most of the time I'm just trying to keep my head on straight.

-Liz
"In a dream I returned to the river of bees" W.S. Merwin

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 02:09:37 am »
I've been told by some that I take too much time. :-D  I believe your chances of finding the queen go down considerably when you are in a rush. If I haven't run across her and suspect she is still in the void space I  often leave a section of brood comb & then take a break anywhere from several minutes to even over night. Many times on return she'll be with the remaining cluster on that last brood comb piece.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 10:15:10 am »
JP,
This is very useful advice.  I'd rather err on the side of slowness than speed.  It all boils down to what's fair to the bees, and I believe that's what most beekeepers are going for. 

On removals, I charge by the hour and in a case like this, I'd just tell the property owner that waiting time is "off the clock".
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 09:07:00 pm »
I thought it was the glasses.   Eagle eye queen catching glasses.   :-D

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 11:17:15 am »
I thought it was the glasses.   Eagle eye queen catching glasses.   :-D

Yup..its all about the glasses  8-)