Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Parking lot swarm call  (Read 1924 times)

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Parking lot swarm call
« on: June 06, 2010, 08:07:15 pm »
I go a swarm call today from our local 911. Since I am nursing a broken back, I had to call a friend for help. They were pitched on the hot asphalt. The surface temperature had to be way over 100 degrees F. We just placed a have body with some drawn comb over them and they just crawled in like little soldiers. When we picked up the hive, there was a small cluster of bees still in the ground under the hive. In the middle of the cluster was the queen, dead. We figure she did not slim down enough and ran out of steam. The hot asphalt was to much for her.

Steve

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Parking lot swarm call
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 09:45:34 pm »
That's a shame about the poor girl.   Did you add them to another hive or try to requeen them?

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: Parking lot swarm call
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 09:54:03 pm »
It was a large swarm, most were in the air when the picture was taken. I will give them a frame of uncapped brood from a queen with a good laying pattern. They will raise a new queen.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

anything