Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: bees in the chimney  (Read 2576 times)

Offline wildbeekeeper

• House Bee
bees in the chimney
« on: July 16, 2008, 11:54:02 pm »
Got a call about a swarm of bees that had taken up residence in a chimney cap.  THeowner said they had been there "about" 6 to 8 weeks.  Below are some pictures of the bees and the comb under the cap and the some comb after I lifted the cap off.  There were 5 big pieces of comb full of brood just under the cap and when I removed those there was another 4 or 5 full pieces going a full 18 inches down the chimney.  I was able to get all the comb and most of the bees into a nuc ( I wish I had brought a full deep instead of teh 5 frame nuc.....it was packed pretty good in the end!)  When I left the bees were furious but going in and out of the hive so I left it there on the roof until tomorrow nit and then I will go back and check to see if they moved in ok :)

Offline Greg Peck

• House Bee
    • GregsBees.com
Re: bees in the chimney
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 07:55:35 am »
Did you start a tiny fire in the fireplace for smoking purposes?  :-D
"Your fire arms are useless against them" - Chris Farley in Tommy Boy
Semper Fi
www.gregsbees.com www.secondfast.com/gregsworkshop/ www.secondfast.com/bees

Offline wildbeekeeper

• House Bee
Re: bees in the chimney
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 04:03:57 pm »
there was a nice wood stove at the bottom so I guess that would have been an option!  These bees are VERY tempermental too!  I picked up the nuc last nite and some came out and hit me good....and then this AM when I transferred them to a regular 10 frame deep they were all over me!  We'll see if they calm down...might want to requeen!