Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Introduced a new Queen then hive swarmed.  (Read 2098 times)

Offline Bee North

• House Bee
Introduced a new Queen then hive swarmed.
« on: March 11, 2019, 07:32:06 am »
Hi Guys

Newbee here.

I introduced a new mated queen into what I/We believed was a queenless hive..... and then three days later (today) the hive swarmed!

History: The hive was a walkaway split over 5 weeks ago which had 4 capped queen cells (when split).

It was inspected by a fellow beekeeper (im away unfortunatly) as queenless after almost 5 weeks, hence the requeening attempt. The hive was given a frame of brood a couple of days prior to the requeening.

My guess is that there was indeed a young queen there, but if that was the case why didnt the bees just kill the introduced queen and then got on with it?

The plan now is to leave it for a week before inspecting assuming that there is a queen still in the hive. I dont want to disrupt her especially if it is the introduced one....chances of that? She is marked.

My wife tells me there are still bees in the hive, so it doesnt look like they have obsconded.

Any thoughts or experiences greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Adam

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Introduced a new Queen then hive swarmed.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 08:39:49 am »
Adam,
Your bees were keeping the queens locked in their queen cell while prepping for swarming, probably multiple swarms. A new queen added to the hive would have been accepted in this situation. Put your ear to the hive and listen for queens piping. If you hear them, you still have multiple queens and they are going to swarm again. If you hear piping, get or make a bunch of queen cages and slowly take the hive apart with minimum disturbance. You can have 10 or more queens in that hive.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 09:25:59 am »
That would be an unexpected result, but sometimes the bees don't read the books.  But yes, you had a virgin who wan't laying yet, or was just starting to lay.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Bee North

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 09:44:01 am »

Thanks for the quick replies gentlemen,

Unfortunately im not home and the next inspection wont be for another week or so by a fellow beekeeper (He is also away) The swarm today was observed by my wife who video called me.

I guess the inspection will reveal whats left, especially if there are more queens and after swarms. I can only wait and see.

So....a mated queen will trump a virgin queen is that correct? Is that why you suggest she may be accepted and not killed, even if she is introduced?.....always trying to learn.

Cheers
Adam

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 11:06:10 am »
>So....a mated queen will trump a virgin queen is that correct? Is that why you suggest she may be accepted and not killed, even if she is introduced?

Usually, no.  Usually THEIR queen trumps "not their queen".  So usually if there is a virgin the introduced queen will be killed.  But as Winnie the Pooh says, "You never can tell with bees"
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Bee North

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 07:15:48 pm »
The girls like to keep us entertained dont they.
Thanks Mr Bush.