Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What STATE restrictions on guns purchases and rules on using them do you have?  (Read 6095 times)

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
I just get a knot in my throat when I see lawful gun owners being able to carry and the public don't blink an eye when a holstered gun or carry gun peaks through if you bend over. That is what being a law abiding citizen is all about - freedom to protect yourself and others.

Sure, many states require carry-permits and mandatory classes, so what? Isn't it easier to keep your self learned in how to react with your weapon if the need ever arises? I would stand on my head in the corner for 3 hours to get a carry permit - here in NJ, even retired cops and judges have to hop through hoops to get a carry permit.

I'm wondering, no matter what the weapon, what hoops do you have to go through? Whether a 7-10 day waiting period, needing a permit for each handgun (in my case it takes 6 months to get a set of three permits, BUT I can only buy on handgun every 30 days) but I can buy any rifle and shot gun (long as they meet NJ requirements, no flash suppressors, 18 inch barrels, max magazine capacity of 15, no hollow point bullets for home protection, no pistol grips on rifles, can only carry guns in the trunk of the car and kept separate from ammo, etc.) I just want to hear stories of people with real 2nd freedom, not these laws that turn our gun Rights into privileges.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
I don't think you want all 44 pages reposted here.   :-D 

http://www.ncdoj.gov/getdoc/32344299-a2a7-4ae5-99fd-9018262f64ac/NC-Firearms-gun-Laws.aspx

They are fairly lax, like "maybe?" the lawmakers have a little common sense, or some close scrutinizing. 
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
For concealed or open carry in Alabama you have to be a certain age and no felony record. That's about it. :-D

Walk in the store, buy a pistol, they run a check, no problems - walk out with your purchase - about 15 minutes.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
boss my gun dont go i dont go; we can get inhanced carry; only air port cort room prisoner detension, and laww enforcement office  exempt
to bee or not to bee

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
>I'm wondering, no matter what the weapon, what hoops do you have to go through? Whether a 7-10 day waiting period, needing a permit for each handgun (in my case it takes 6 months to get a set of three permits, BUT I can only buy on handgun every 30 days) but I can buy any rifle and shot gun (long as they meet NJ requirements, no flash suppressors, 18 inch barrels, max magazine capacity of 15, no hollow point bullets for home protection, no pistol grips on rifles, can only carry guns in the trunk of the car and kept separate from ammo, etc.) I just want to hear stories of people with real 2nd freedom, not these laws that turn our gun Rights into privileges.

If you look up a chart on the gun control sites, they say that Nebraska has a waiting period.  Last I checked they did not.  If you want a long gun, you just buy it.  If you want a pistol, you go to the county sheriff and get (if you don't already have one) a permit to buy a pistol.  They run a background check, take their $5 and give you the permit.
http://www.omahasheriff.org/services/gun-permits

Then you go to the gunstore and buy your pistol/pistols and as much ammo as you want or they have in stock...

That is unless you live in Omaha, in which case you will then need to take a bill of sale from the dealer to the city offices and get a permit for a concealable weapon and take that back to the dealer to get your gun.

Anyway about it, if you decided this morning that you wanted a handgun you should have it legally by this afternoon.  Of couse anywhere, including here, if you wanted to break the law, of course, you could have it sooner and cheaper, but it would probably be stolen.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
Having to make a trip to two places to have carry - I'm envious. I don't think anyone would tolerate 6 months as we have for pistol. As written, no limit how many shotguns and rifles here either - I guess you could max out a visa and they'd keep handing you long-arms - but ca buy up to the when you apply for handgun permits, they come together but you have 90 days to use them, and can use one in 30 days.

Waiting 6 months seems ridiculous, we have already gone through it the previous time we applied - and again and again every 90 days if we wish to build a handgun collection - their are some beautiful WW2 vintage handguns online to bid on, but I hate the idea that the gunshop needs to hold the weapon until my permit comes in - I'm sure (well wouldn't doubt) in NJ, gun-shops may as well charge storage fees and I can't blame them.  Imagine they get a $2000 Sig 1911 and they need to keep it 6 months, that's a huge insurance risk. Seems our laws turn gun-shops into safe deposit boxes.

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
If you want a carry permit you have to go to a class.  They are offered many places and I'm sure you could start one somewhere in the area today.  I don't know how long it takes, I have not done that yet, but have considered it.  Concealed carry is a more difficult proposition when you consider all the places that don't allow it (libraries, government buildings etc.) and you have to put it somewhere in the meantime...

Omaha is the only place that requires a permit to carry a "concealable" weapon in plain sight.  Everywhere else you can just open carry in Nebraska, but in Omaha, you would have to have a permit to even HAVE a concealable weapon.  This is, of course a violation, not only of the 2nd amendment to the US constitution, but a violation of the Nebraska Constitution article 1, section 1 and section 4.  That has not stopped them, however.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
for as blue as we are, our gun laws are not so bad.  we have open carry, cc with permit, and the standard background check for purchase.  the check can be done on the spot if you can get the call through.  no limits.  no licence.  private sales or transfer, no problem.

WA, on the other hand, has just made it really hard to do private sales.  you now have to do the background check even if you are giving a gift to a family member, etc.  most of the rest of it is the same.  interestingly, there is no reciprocity between Oregon and Washington on cc permits. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
10 minute process to buy in alabama.  when i first got my concealed carry i think i had to wait a week for the extensive background check but renewal takes about 10 minutes.
i can't believe you can't have hollow points up there. 

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
The hollow point issue bothers me greatly - having to use flat nose ammo is the best I can do, both to protect others in my home and around us, but also prevent myself from penalty of law. I just laugh (ironically) how it is okay to purchase it from out of state, use hollow points in competitions, clubs and ranges - but don't try to stop an intruder with all intent to take me out and God knows do what to my wife, I'm sure if he's carrying (since laws don't mean anything to him - he gets to carry) I'll bet you HE has hollow points.

Yeah, NJ is STUPID - our state representatives are so BLUE they're Smurfs.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
>The hollow point issue bothers me greatly

It's a typical emotional reaction to a simply rational issue.  The reality is the people who pass laws like this know nothing about bullets and, if they could, would outlaw all of them but since they can't they pick particular qualities and vilify them. 

They hate frangible bullets because "they rip and tear" (words used by the media to describe "black talon" bullets used in a shooting in New York a few years ago) when the design criteria is simply to make a bullet that is not going to go through walls and be a threat to people in another room.  In other words SAFER bullets. 

They hate bullets that penetrate because they are "cop killer bullets" that just go right through a Kevlar vest.  Yet these are exactly the kind of bullets that were the only kind allowed under the Geneva convention in WWI and WWII because they wouldn't break up and leave a lot of bits and pieces in a solder that was shot (although shrapnel did a good job of that).  They wanted them used in war because they were safer than soft bullets.

Reality is that the deadliest bullet is one that will penetrate to the vitals (6-9" deep) and expand enough to dissipate it's energy into the creature being shot.  If it doesn't penetrate far enough to hit vitals will likely only shock the creature being shot rather than kill it.  If it penetrates all the way through, it will kill the creature being shot IF the bullet penetrates a vital organ.  If it does the optimum of penetration AND expansion it will do the most possible damage so that if it hits a vital it will still be deadly and if it misses a vital it is still likely to cause enough shock and break enough blood vessels to be deadly.  This is called "controlled expansion".  So the two extremes that the media and the anti-gun people are always harping about are the LEAST deadly bullets.  The happy medium they seem intent on instead, are the DEADLIEST bullets.  So rather than pick a bullet for the situation e.g. a frangible for home defense where I want to STOP a perpetrator and killing them is not important and I want minimize the risk to people on the other side of a wall (which is very important) or a full metal jacket where I want to be able to take out the perpetrators engine block or a premium hunting bullet that will have controlled expansion to quickly kill a deer or elk; you have to take what they haven't outlawed.

All gun control laws sound reasonable to those who simply want to outlaw guns.  Another popular one that anti-gun people us to show what they perceive as the unreasonableness of the "gun lobby" (the "gun lobby" of course is the NRA which is just citizens who have banded together to protect their rights, but that doesn't sound so sinister, does it...) is that "all guns should have a safety".  This, of course makes perfect sense to people who do not understand different actions and how they work.  Any gun with a hammer and some kind of firing pin block that requires the trigger to be down in order for the hammer to hit the pin does not need a safety.  It would only be redundant and cumbersome... but then again the anti gun people love to make anything to do with guns cumbersome...
-------------------

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
Beemaster, a couple useful links for you, 
http://www.gunlaws.com/links/
handgunlaw.us
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.