Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New hives acting different  (Read 1086 times)

Offline NCNate

• New Bee
New hives acting different
« on: April 18, 2020, 10:21:05 am »
First of all, I'm a new beekeeper and enjoying every minute!

I took a class this spring given by my local club and once it was over bought two 5 frame nucs. The nucs i bought came with 1 year old unmarked queens but I couldn't find the queens when I installed them on Mar 28 with the 5 frames in the middle and 5 frames of foundation on the outside.  I also installed hive top feeders on both and started feeding 1 to 1 syrup.

On Apr 4 I checked them. Hive 1 was doing great and drawing some comb. Hive 2 was also drawing some comb but not doing as well, no eggs or young larve and a capped queen cell. They were also backfilling the brood comb with syrup.  Since I still couldn't find the queen I left the capped queen cell and gave less syrup.

On Apr. 11 I checked again. Hive 1 was still doing great but didn't have as much drawn comb as I expected. I moved the two honey frames to the outside. Hive 2 had the queen cell gone and the queen cups i had broken gone.  I also found the queen. Still no brood, but thats to be expected. I also moved the 2 honey frames to the outside on this one. They've both eaten a gallon of syrup this week.

All this week hive 1 has been bringing in pollen like crazy but hive 2 hasn't. Bees are traveling at about the same rate but there bringing almost no pollen back.

Why would that be?

I'll be going in to them later today once it quits raining. Should be able to see eggs in hive 2.  I'll hopefully be able to add another hive body on top of both with foundation. Hive 2 has a solid bottom board so i plan i changing that out to screened while I'm there.

I would love to have some drawn comb to give them but I have no idea where I can pick some up.
Any idea idea what I can do to help them along?  Should I be doing anything different?

Its a long first post but I've got a LOT to learn.  :embarassed:

Thanks!

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: New hives acting different
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 11:16:29 am »
It will be ok, they will draw comb as they need it. I was just as apprehensive with my first hives, wanting them to draw more comb. Someone here told me to add a pinch of salt in each qt of sugar water and this did seem to help. Good luck with your bees .  I think it was Jtcmedic

Phillip Hall
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 11:29:49 am »
I would wait until the 25th or after to check #2. Two weeks aftern you know she ha emerged. Disturbing her the first 2 weeks is not recommended.  Other than that, it all sounds good.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2020, 01:50:52 pm »
All this week hive 1 has been bringing in pollen like crazy but hive 2 hasn't. Bees are traveling at about the same rate but there bringing almost no pollen back.

Why would that be?

Hey NCNate, it sounds like the colony is about to rebound with a new queen in charge. 

As to the question above, what you're seeing is normal.  Foragers typically seek out only one thing at a time and tend to stick to that thing.  Bees that are returning without pollen on their basket are most likely foraging for nectar, which is in their crop and you can't see it.  Some may also be seeking water and others, sap for propolis.  I think it likely that most foragers do not return empty-handed so to speak, it's just that we can only see the "goods" from the pollen foragers as they return, so rest assured, this girls coming back seemingly empty-handed, have likely been working hard.

Offline NCNate

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2020, 08:15:48 pm »
Thanks for all the replies, makes me a little more comfortable!

I didn't get a chance to go in them today. I'll do it tomorrow before it rains, and I'll stay out of hive 2 for another week.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2020, 01:00:39 am »
Let us know how it turns out.

Phillip Hall
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline NCNate

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2020, 11:22:01 pm »
I was able to get them checked yesterday. Hive 1 was doing excellent. Bees on 9 frames and drawing plenty of comb. I added another hive body on top with foundation and pulled 1 frame of brood and 1 frame of honey up. They look great!
I also peeked under my hive top feeder into hive 2. Looks like they are about 2 weeks behind, but I expected that since they were without a queen for awhile. Both hives were bringing in plenty of pollen this afternoon.
I also added about 3/4 gallon of syrup to both.
When should I quit feeding?