Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Tropical oils vs. seed oils  (Read 3422 times)

Offline tlynn

• Field Bee
Tropical oils vs. seed oils
« on: January 17, 2009, 01:18:05 pm »
Coffee-mate powder

The first two ingredients are as follows: Corn Syrup Solids, Vegetable Oil (Partially hydrogenated coconut or palm kernel, canola, hydrogenated palm, soybean, cottonseed, or safflower).

It's bad for you...Trans fats, and chemicals...I imagine it isn't good for bees either.

Absolutely.  Fake food.  Not to be eaten, probably not by bees either.

Forgive the off topic direction, but I think it's important enough to mention here since it's come up - we eat palm and coconut oils (non-hydrogenated) only.  No canola, corn oil, nothing that says partially hydrogenated.  Here's an excellent read on hydrogenation and why people in the US think tropical oils are so bad when they are actually healthful http://www.coconutoil.com/beatrice_hunter.htm
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 05:22:31 pm by Robo »

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Feeding in winter-Fondant? CoffeeMate?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 01:43:11 pm »
  No canola, corn oil, nothing that says partially hydrogenated. 

So no canola at all,  or no hydrogenated?   We have stopped using hydrogenated oils and try to avoid products that have it (talk about a challenge) and mainly use olive oil, but do use canola for deep frying.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline tlynn

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 04:27:01 pm »
  No canola, corn oil, nothing that says partially hydrogenated. 

So no canola at all,  or no hydrogenated?   We have stopped using hydrogenated oils and try to avoid products that have it (talk about a challenge) and mainly use olive oil, but do use canola for deep frying.

No, only coconut or palm oil and some olive oil for salads.  Coconut oil in popcorn is the best!  People have been squeezing oil from coconuts and palm fruits for thousands of years.  Only recently have machines been able to process oils from seeds like canola and soybean and to add H2 molecules to them to make them solid at room temps (Parkay, Country Crock, etc).  So I don't believe we have evolved to assimilate those types of oils, and definitely not the hydrogenated forms.  So they end up doing wired stuff to us like raising LDLs and lowering HDLs, and causing free radical damage leading to cancers, etc.

When I lived in Honduras we used coconut oil because "imported" canola from the States cost more.  I was concerned it was not as good for me (back in the 90s) and then when I went to the US for doc visits, I found my HDLs a lot higher and LDLs lower.  Not what I expected.  I started researching oils and learned a lot about seed oils and hydrogenation and it wasn't what I thought.  It was about the canola industry wanting to gain market share, among other things, so they trashed coconut and palm oil because they were high in saturated fats like red meat, but they are different fats, and they promoted unsaturated fats as the answer to clogged arteries.  Pacific islanders have very low incidence of cardiovascular disease yet their diet is high in saturated fats from coconut.  So my wife and I have been using coconut and palm oil ever since (the natural oils, not palm kernel oil or hydrogenated palm oil.  BIG DIF).  Coconut oil is much more expensive than canola, but we don't fry that much.  We also use it for home made moisturizer - coconut oil, beeswax, and a little water.  Heat it up, whip it up in a blender and voila.  Palm oil is great as a fat base for stews, chilis, sautes and soups.  Good b/c we are vegetarians.

Forgive the off topic stuff - please move if appropriate.

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 05:19:08 pm »
We use organic coconut oil here as well...many health benefits from it too~*~

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Tropical oils vs. seed oils
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 07:53:41 pm »
if they removed everything that got off topic, none of us would have a post up!!

??  what do you bake with?  last year i made all my squash breads with whole wheat and corn oil.  i don't think it would have been to good with olive oil.....
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

anything