Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello From Central Florida  (Read 1938 times)

Offline Astrocycler

• New Bee
Hello From Central Florida
« on: December 27, 2009, 02:50:27 pm »
Good Afternoon,

I am new to beekeeping... don't even have bees yet.  Working hard to learn... Santa brought me a beekeeping book and have attended a course at our county extension service.  Seems like more people need to save the bees by enhancing the gene pool and population.  Heck, I have not seen a honey bee in my yard for years... need to fix that.  These critters are incredibly interesting.  My wife is interested also... that's good news.  One of the grandbrats is also interested.

We live in unincorporated Volusia County in central Florida about halfway between Orlando and Daytona Beach.  We live on 3 acres of mostly untouched land so I think the bees will love it... lots of food including our garden and a lot of palmetto, which I understand makes great honey.

My other interests include astronomy, bicycling (road), gardening, cooking and most outdoor activities.

I am looking forward to learning from everyone and having a robust healthy hive.

Happy New Year,

Ed
I know it is going to be a good day when I get up in the morning look back in the bed and I am not in it!

The best part of having grandbrats is I now have people my own age to play with.

Offline fermentedhiker

• Field Bee
Re: Hello From Central Florida
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 06:06:33 pm »
Welcome to the forum.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 07:30:33 pm »
Astrocycler, first off let me say welcome to the forum...it's a fantastic place for info! I must be close to you as I'm just outside of Deltona in Osteen. I'd be happy to help you get set up on this great adventure, all you have to do is holler!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 01:25:18 am »
Ed, welcome to our forum, wonderful you found us.  Wait until you get your bees, the enjoyment you will have will be something you never could have believed, your Wife will love the new adventure too. Take this winter to study, read that book you got for Christmas, and get prepared to have bees, this will happen.  The most that one learns about the secret life of the honeybee, the more compelled you will be to learn.  This forum will be a place where you can tell your stories, tales, experiences, make new friends -- and ask any questions that you want to.  There is no unimportant question ever, and you will always have great answers.  Stick around, we love new members.  Have that wonderful day, awesome life, with great health. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything